1940 Chief 340 - Front Fender Light Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 Chief 340 - Front Fender Light Location

What is the correct location for the front fender light on a skirted chief, Note this is the 1940 Chief which I think is different from the 1946 and later front fender light positions?

I know the 46 and later have a first hole located approximately 9.5" from the tip.
    I suspect the 1940 first hole is located 11.5" from the tip but would like confirmation.

Bob
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

On my 40 Chief the front hole is 10 1/4" from the tip.
    20scout

Comment

Originally posted by 20scout View Post
      On my 40 Chief the front hole is 10 1/4" from the tip.
      I do not think my 42 chief even had a fender light out of the factory, Didn't they originally come out later than 1942?

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
        I do not think my 42 chief even had a fender light out of the factory, Didn't they originally come out later than 1942?
        They had them in '42 Here's a pic of my 42 Chief.

AMCA # 3233

Comment

I am not 100% certain BUT I think the 1940 front fender changed in 41 slightly, I think it was made a little smaller or shorter.
          Bob Beatty
          AMCA 19209

Comment

Originally posted by NiteOwl View Post
            I am not 100% certain BUT I think the 1940 front fender changed in 41 slightly, I think it was made a little smaller or shorter.
            ....and the fender skirts in 1940 were flatter, later fenders had the skirt bulge out at the seam. Good question about 1940 fender lamp! I wonder myself!

The CAV's didn't have fender lamps, but you see them on the civilian ones....restored civilian ones.
            Last edited by pisten-bully; 04-30-2017, 09:27 AM.
            Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Hi Bob, so what measurement did you come up with? I need to drill holes in my 1940 front fender. Thanks Matt

Comment

Hi
                I finally put it 9 1/4 tip to first hole center. Like the look fender light is aligned nicely at this position. I also found a technical drawing (see attached) that told me approx 9 1/2. The wording on the drawing was "first hole approximatly 9 1/2 from fender edge."
                as well as most fenders on others bikes I found were this ~9 1/4 measurement.

Http://www.theironhorsecorral.com/co...lightholes.gif fenderlightholes.gif
                Last edited by NiteOwl; 09-06-2021, 03:27 PM.
                Bob Beatty
                AMCA 19209

Comment

Hatfield's book lists the front fender light as standard for all models except the 30.50 starting in 1940. Indian's literature shows the fender light starting in 1940. Regardless, I think they look great, and I'm putting one on my '41 SS.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                  X