Need a part ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a part ID

So I've rebuilt my motor and now I've found a spring which I don't know where it came from. The motor or it just happen to be in with the motor nuts and bolts. Does anyone know if I've missed something in the assembly? Thanks.....John
    Attached Files

Hi,
    I don't recognize it as an engine spring, though it might be. It looks something like the fuse spring that is in an electrical in-line fuse holder (possibly aftermarket). What I have seen is that an in-line fuse holder comes with a variety of springs to work with different fuses. The ones that are not chosen, tend to be kicking around afterward. It is a mystery.

Comment

Carburetor main nozzle spring ?

Comment

Hi,
        I don't think it is Linkert carburetor nozzle spring. That spring is longer than a penny is wide. Here is the nozzle spring from Jerry Greer. A small short spring is used between the primary chain shoe and shoe arm, but that spring typically doesn't have the tightly wound ends. Hmmm.

Linkert nozzle spring.jpg

Comment

My brother worked in a shop,a guy kept giving him a hard time about being a not good mechanic.The guy brought in a Vespa & tore the carb apart,my bro thru an oring in his box of parts.He got it back together and couldn't finger out the oring.He fretted for a couple weeks ,then bro thru the oring in the street & told him to start it!

Comment

John!

It more closely resembles a carb detente spring, however they did not have as many close winds at each end, and they were "beryllium".

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

It's out of a ball point penIMG_1111-002.JPG

Comment

cdf6333 is the winner!! What does he win? Kudos for sure.

Comment

Could be the spring that tensions the ball for the choke butterfly positioner.

Comment

Yellow53Chief!

CDF6333's looks long to me.

I collect pen springs out of dumpsters regularly, because they are usefull, yet I have never found one as short as John's, nor of that stout of wire.
                    But I have scrounged similar from discarded screwguns, along with 5/32" balls!

(AMCA "correct".)

....Cotten
                    PS: Paul!
                    The choke mechanism is what I called a "detente". Sorry I don't remember where I got the term.
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-21-2016, 05:42 PM.
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

A "detent", and "detente" are quite different terms. But we get the gist of it....
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                        My brother worked in a shop,a guy kept giving him a hard time about being a not good mechanic.The guy brought in a Vespa & tore the carb apart,my bro thru an oring in his box of parts.He got it back together and couldn't finger out the oring.He fretted for a couple weeks ,then bro thru the oring in the street & told him to start it!
                        Some times logic can be your worst enemy. Great story Roger
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Well that was fun. I should get some sleep tonight. I was thinking the spring for the primary chain shoe mechanism but I think it's to small. Thanks everyone. Ride On John

Comment

I am thinking this:
                            https://www.jerrygreersengineering.com/part_view.php

Comment

Working...
                            X