Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley Rims on Indians?

Hi Guys
    Can Harley wheel rims be run on Indians? I know the nipple diameter is 5/16 for Harley and 11/32 for Indians, so is it possible to just use Harley nipples on Indian spokes or is there more to it as in spoke position, I'm not too worried about being totally correct , just wondering if its possible, and would fit my 50 Chief.

Thanks
    Greg

The best way to avoid drunkenness is to not drink.
    The best way to keep an Indian great is don't use harley parts, next you will want to use harley tires, chains and god knows what else.
    Rims are available from Kiwi, Starlite and whats his name.
    The nipples are different threads.

Comment

It's no different than putting a pair of leather moccasins on a US cavalry soldier, it just isn't right!

Comment

Its curious I know, Folks,....

But I pulled a 16" rim with fat nipples laced to a star hub out of a barnfull thirty years ago or so.

So the conflict is pretty much a modern diatribe.

....Cotten
        PS: I still have it: NFS.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by gcahir View Post
          Hi Guys
          Can Harley wheel rims be run on Indians? I know the nipple diameter is 5/16 for Harley and 11/32 for Indians, so is it possible to just use Harley nipples on Indian spokes or is there more to it as in spoke position, I'm not too worried about being totally correct , just wondering if its possible, and would fit my 50 Chief.

Thanks
          Greg
          I dont know anything about HD spoke gauge , tpi or nipple angle ,but Indian repro SS spoke sets used to available in the small nipple dia. or the stock .343.
          I believe the small dia. was for use with repro "universal rim" that were also widely available.
          Tom

Comment

Greg, I have a pair of 16" Chief rims if you need them. However, you are probably looking for chrome rims which is the only reason to go to H-D rims. Re-chroming rims is an expensive proposition so I understand your inquiry.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
              Greg, I have a pair of 16" Chief rims if you need them. However, you are probably looking for chrome rims which is the only reason to go to H-D rims. Re-chroming rims is an expensive proposition so I understand your inquiry.
              Thanks Eric and thanks everyone for the replies
              The only reason I asked is because I am in Australia and to get a Starklite or other "correct" rim from the US will cost me around $400 a rim with our currently poor exchange rate, but I have seen Harley rims here powder coated for around $120. Think you can see now why I asked the question.
              I only need one rim and I will be painting it, and already have the spoke kit.

Thanks
              Greg

Comment

I used HD rims on my '52 Chief project. Just had to drill out the spoke holes, no big deal. And no one will ever know. I have the original Kelsey Hayes rims as well, but they are in rough shape. They can be restored, of course.

Comment

Just to be sure that everyone knows this, the total wheel offset is built into the angle of the drilled nipple holes ( L-R) Late Chief offset is between 5/16" and 3/8" which keeps the wheel centered in the frame and/or fork. Also HD rims are drilled for a cross 4 pattern while the Chief uses less angle and a cross 3 ( F-B) . Chief rims should be mounted with the tube hole in the rim facing opposite of the brake drum. I don't remember how this plays out with HD as the drum is on the opposite side.
                  I have used HD rims back in the "ole days", before repops and the spokes were always bowed (bent).
                  Bob, Beard Machine, FL
                  Last edited by cdf6333; 02-11-2016, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Harley-Davidson 16" rims, laced to a star hub are a cross 4 pattern.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

I said it backwards, Indian is cross 3 and HD is cross 4. My old age, I'll correct it. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                        Hi Eric how much would you sell those rims for? I have an address in CA so shipping will be easy
                        It is looking to me that I should use Indian rims after all, otherwise I'm building stress into the wheels.

Thanks once again for the input guys , my offset I had worked out at 5/16" so that's on the money

Greg

Comment

Greg, I sent you a P.M. Eric
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

When I laced up the HD rims to my Indian hubs, I ended up with cross 3, no problem.

Comment

Do you have a picture of it? I tried a couple times- years ago- and I couldn't get the spokes straight. Did you just hand drill the nipple holes? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X