Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Chief in the shop, anxious for next summer before winter even begins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Chief in the shop, anxious for next summer before winter even begins.

I want to thank every one who was patient with me and all my newbie questions about different Chiefs I was considering. In the end I went with a bike I never envisioned for my self. I was originally drawn to the '46-'48 bikes with the trellis front ends. I still think they are the best looking bikes. I also looked at leaf spring bikes but never even considered the later hydraulic bikes. Just did not appeal to me.

I was approached by a friend I have been using as an advisor regarding certain bikes I was considering who has a substantial collection and decided to let a '53 that he had restored some time back go in order to pay for a new project.

Brought the bike home and got to take advantage of a beautiful day yesterday to put a few miles on. Nervous for my first attempt at riding this beast is an understatement. I got it started, pointed it down the driveway, put her in gear and rolled the clutch on. Ran it up and down the road and probably did not make any of my neighbors very happy but that's just too bad.

Eventually got up the guts to leave the neighborhood and venture out on the road. Stalled it at the first stop sign and a couple guys in a car pulled up to see what they could do to help. I said I'm fine, just learning a foot clutch and they just thought that was pretty cool.

Anyway, here she is and I am excited about our future together. The bike is a true 5 digit, part of the last 300 or so bikes Indian made before closing their doors. I have lots of questions but in the mean time, here are some pics.

Last edited by Tobydog61; 11-16-2015, 08:30 PM.

Congratulations Jeff! That's quite a tidy machine and looks like you found exactly the type of bike you were looking for. Beautiful in black and that 80"er should pull all the hills in 3rd gear. I started out the same way going short distances on back roads and gradually going farther and farther building confidence then driving into a city filled with red lights and hills. If you stall in traffic its important to keep your wits and not get flustered when restarting. Never ever forget to put it in neutral when starting. Find a stop sign on a hill in a remote area and practice pulling out and turning left. Once you master that you'll be good to go. In tough pull outs or tight U-turns learn to find the sweet spot and don't be afraid to let the clutch slip until you are moving and through the turn before full engagement.
    Last edited by Skirted; 11-16-2015, 09:02 PM.
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Thanks, yes clutch control is the key for sure. One thing I found is that I was having a hard time trying to keep my foot on both the front and rear pedal at the same time to rock the pedal for a smooth take off. I'm taller than the previous owner and my foot just would not bend back far enough to engage the clutch so I have lengthened the clutch rod to get it to engage sooner. I may need to lengthen it more but it was a big help. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I must say I'm really glad the later models had the right hand throttle. It has made learning the hand/foot shift much easier.

Comment

i think you have a very nice bike glad you got somethink that really just takes your eye and it has all the right stuff on it , pays to take your time and look at all the models ,that will be a great cruising machine.

Comment

Congrats! Sweet Chief and it will be a blast to ride, be prepared to spend a lot of time talking about it when you fill up for gas somewhere.
          AMCA # 3233

Comment

Wow, congrats.

Comment

Really NICE photos you took of your prize!! I also like the black color. It looks too clean though... HAHA!! Just kidding!
              Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

The chief has had 370 miles put on it in the last 7 years and I put 50 of those on it. I plan on riding it so good to take pictures now. I don't plan on putting a lot of miles on it but it's definetly going to get ridden.

Comment

these machines are bullet proof when maintained don't deprive yourself.....ride the hell out of it. Ask some of my buddies I beat the hell out of my 47 and she is still beautiful.

Comment

here she is 15,000 miles after the rebuild....
                    Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful '47, love the blue. It looks show ready so if you have put that many miles on it, you truly know how to detail a bike. How does the tote bag attach to the rack? I'm looking for something like that to carry things when I ride.

Comment

Thanks!! I just put 1/8 aluminum strips inside and out put a clevis pin up through and it is quick release. I have a box on there now attached the same way. 10406517_10153210891118209_6326670341152984571_n.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X