Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why replace rollers with bushings in 1947 girder fork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why replace rollers with bushings in 1947 girder fork?

I have read matter-of-fact suggestions to replace the roller bearings in the girder fork on 1947 chief with bushings. I'm in the process of re-assembling my 1947 chief. The front suspension seemed fine to me the last time I rode it. (23 years ago) It has been stored in my living room since taking it off the road. I had just completed a trip of 1500 miles when the engine went bad.

The rollers are all there and seem fine. Should I replace them with bronze? Why?

Thanks for the info.

Larry Gibson

There's nothing wrong with good parts, imo. If the bearings feel good with the shackle rod, run it. If there are rough spots in the rotation, or visible wear areas in the rod, replace with a new rod.
    I hope that the new rods are hard enough to handle the bearing rollers.

Comment

Don't '47 + forks also have grease zerks on them for the cross link bearings? I'm with Fillibuster, keep 'em if they're good!
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
        Don't '47 + forks also have grease zerks on them for the cross link bearings? I'm with Fillibuster, keep 'em if they're good!
        Jerry Hatfields Indian Resto guide says 48 zirc grease fittings introduced to accommodate bushings.
        I would also use if all the shafts and bearings look good,but I have never taken apart a roller shaft that wastnt dented up from pounding by the small surface contact of the rollers.
        Bushings also can be line reamed.
        Tom

Comment

You will probably see wear spots from rollers. The problem is that they do not rotate very much and roller will stay close to same position and mileage pounding will eventually cause problem.

Comment

Thanks for responses

I'm
            Originally posted by larrymgibson View Post
            I have read matter-of-fact suggestions to replace the roller bearings in the girder fork on 1947 chief with bushings. I'm in the process of re-assembling my 1947 chief. The front suspension seemed fine to me the last time I rode it. (23 years ago) It has been stored in my living room since taking it off the road. I had just completed a trip of 1500 miles when the engine went bad.

The rollers are all there and seem fine. Should I replace them with bronze? Why?

Thanks for the info.

Larry Gibson
            Thanks for the suggestions. I will inspect the rods for wear.

Comment

The rollers put dents in the shafts, the bushings have five times the surface contact area lasting much longer.

Comment

Working...
              X