Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking at Making the Step Toward Owning My First chief.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, this is a real nice Chief. The head light should have been chrome, not sure about the exhaust but many of the small things like the proper vented gas caps and oil cap are there. Same for amp meter, speedo and ignition switch. The head light dimmer switch is wrong for a '41 it should have the same one that's on a '40. This one is the '46 and later style. It's missing the front crash guard.The tool box is the correct 3 hinge unit. VIN looks good too. Throw the owner an offer. I love the Jade Green color.
    AMCA # 3233

Comment

I know the "any DuPont color is legit" thought but for judging is it possible to even know what optional colors are correct? In this case is there any way to know if this color would have been available back in its day?
      Last edited by Tobydog61; 09-13-2015, 06:14 AM.

Comment

You'll have to contact the seller for sure but Jade Green was a 1940 factory color, and could have been ordered in 1941 as a special order since it is not listed as one of the standard colors in 1941 literature that I've seen. Is this bike Jade Green? It looks like it. Check out Jerry Greer 1940 factory Dupont salesman color sample chart. When I buy my next 1941 Chief it will be Jade Green.

https://www.jerrygreersengineering.c...d=086036-53All
        AMCA # 3233

Comment

I have a 47 Chief Roadmaster (1st and only Indian) and have enjoyed it. My recommendations are to make sure that it is a numbers matching and has as many original parts.
          If you are restoring or want a "barn fresh", the bike you are considering may be totally different. Some guys want the total restored look and others want to keep the bike with all the patina in tact (my preference).

Good luck

Comment

Build the bobber first. Then when the showpiece build stresses you out, you can still go for a putt.

Comment

Regarding this '41, the seller comments that the bike leaks oil (don't they all) and the oil pump needs to be primed before riding. Does that indicate a weak oil pump? Can it usually be fixed without an engine tear down?

Thx Jeff

Comment

It's common that they wet sump from sitting for any length of time. If it's not too bad just drain the oil from the sump before riding into a clean pan and dump it back into the oil tank. If it wet sumps really bad, the oil pump might need to be rebuilt. My '48 did not wet sump at all but the engine had been rebuilt by John Bivens in So Cal and never caused me any issues whatsoever.
                AMCA # 3233

Comment

Jeff,
                  Lots of folks here with more experience than I but they don't all leak. "Leaking oil" can be very subjective. You might want to ask how big the puddle is after say 1 day or in some cases 15 minutes! The only leak my 48 has is from the vent right after a ride which is normal. And maybe a drip every couple weeks from the trans. I have seen other Chiefs that don't leak. Initially it was my thought that leaks were probably a fact of life on these old bikes but not so. Maybe a lot do leak but if reasonable steps are taken during a rebuild I think its a reasonable expectation to not have leaks.

Here's a link I found useful for self study in your spare time. http://www.performanceindian.com/Tuning.html
                  There is a section on oil pumps

Originally posted by Tobydog61 View Post
                  Regarding this '41, the seller comments that the bike leaks oil (don't they all) and the oil pump needs to be primed before riding. Does that indicate a weak oil pump? Can it usually be fixed without an engine tear down?

Thx Jeff
                  Jason Zerbini
                  Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                  Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X