motor info:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor info:

can someone explain to me when did they started to put Bonneville motors in Chiefs? Also what are the differences between the stock 74Ci. ?

Hi John 1940-1948 pistons different, slightly higher compression, heavier valve springs,more aggressive cams & followers special carb. mods.

Comment

I have seen a sales brochure from 1939 that lists the Bonneville option.

339 "B" - $405.00
      339 "M" - $425.00
      339 "BM" - $450.00

might have seen it on another forum.. just remember seeing the prices.

Comment

Magneto, larger cylinder head depth, high lift cams, 350 and up carb, or BONN Carb.

Comment

A mystery Folks,

Is why the 1940 Motorcycle Parts Catalog lists Bonneville carburetor parts, when apparently Schebler didn't produce any.

Any fossil evidence would be greatly appreciated!

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Grabbed a couple of images from the 1936 - 1942 parts Catalog that I have.

Bonneville Parts were offered for

1939-1942 Chief 74"
            1939-1942 SS 45"
            1940-1942 45"

Here are some of the screenshots

Bonneville Cylinders.JPGBonneville Heads.JPGBonneville Manifold.JPGBonneville Pistons 74.JPGBonneville Heads SS.JPG

They offered a Bonneville replacement for the Marvel Carb as well.

Has anyone got a Bonneville Manifold, how different is it from the standard manifold.

Mike

Comment

Missed the attachment for the Carb

Bonneville Marvel Carbs.JPG

Comment

Someozybloke!

That carb listing is similar to the '40 book (attached);
                The mystery is why there were Bonne carbs listed for '39-only twins before Linkerts were introduced for Indians in '41.

Nobody seems to have ever encountered a Schebler stamped 'Bonne', and I have never encountered a 1 1/8" Schebler venturi.
                Listing in the '42 catalog as "replacements" is not such a mystery.

I have never found much of a difference (other than cast iron vs aluminum) in Chief manifolds.
                Sport Scouts do vary greatly in porting, however.

You confuse me about the 'Bonne' Marvel, as I do not see the '36-only Four model listed.
                ( But I have encountered those with differing jets... for what that's worth.)

.....Cotten
                PS: All Bonnes I have encountered appeared to be typical for Linkert's '40 or later productions. If a '39 Indian Bonne Linkert exists, it would be nickel, with the "4-line script" on the side.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-15-2015, 10:55 AM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Thanks for the update Cotten, it fascinates me that a company has such poor record keeping, or I guess a lot of it was lost or throw out when the company ceased trading.

It's like doing a jigsaw that is missing some of the pieces and you have no picture to work from, so really don't know what is missing anyway.

Mike

Comment

Forensics is our task, Mike!

Parts books from many marques are questionable upon specifics, and the Indian '36-'42 is often cited for blatant flaws.

Once again, if anyone has examples from the 'fossil record' about pre-'41 Bonne's, please post us with clear photos.
                    As a student, I will greatly appreciate it.

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

I have found eight factors that comprise a Bonneville Indian. Plus, much higher top speed than the Standard Chief with 92 mph.
                      1. Magneto ignition
                      2. Cam measurement-Lobe Height=1.575" (standard=1.510")
                      Base Circle Dia=1.100" (standard=1.110")
                      3. Cam Lifters and Followers.
                      4. Heads-3/4" reach to spark plug (standard-1/2")
                      5. Kickstarter pedal-11 tooth (standard 10 tooth). Kickstarter Gear-28 tooth (standard 32 tooth).
                      6. Linkert Carburetor-Stamped M-BONN, and I believe is larger than Standard Indian Chief. Linkert Stamped 350-352 will also work.
                      7. Heavier Valve Springs.
                      8. Bonneville Cylinders intake measurement different than standard Chief.
                      Last edited by Lonewolf_51; 06-03-2015, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X