Convert Mag to Dis 41 chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert Mag to Dis 41 chief

Needed some advice on my 41 Chief bob job, I'm bobbing a 41 chief that is a mag the problem is the mag just won;t fire right & I am constantly being told I should just convert it to a distributor & be done with it, Question is how difficult is it to mount a autolite into a mag Distributor? I have never attempted this so I'm not sure how to go about it. Do I need a new pump or can I add the dist sleeve & such to the mag I have?
    Does the Mag pump have a drive gera in it for the Dist or does the pump have to be removed & modified , I'm ok with the rest of the process, ( Coil, Generator, reset timing) My lack of Pump & Distributor knowledge is my fear in attempting this, Any detailed info would be great & any info with pictures would be fantastic, I am always open to suggestions & advice. Thanks

Originally posted by 45OZ View Post
    Needed some advice on my 41 Chief bob job, I'm bobbing a 41 chief that is a mag the problem is the mag just won;t fire right & I am constantly being told I should just convert it to a distributor & be done with it, Question is how difficult is it to mount a autolite into a mag Distributor? I have never attempted this so I'm not sure how to go about it. Do I need a new pump or can I add the dist sleeve & such to the mag I have?
    Does the Mag pump have a drive gera in it for the Dist or does the pump have to be removed & modified , I'm ok with the rest of the process, ( Coil, Generator, reset timing) My lack of Pump & Distributor knowledge is my fear in attempting this, Any detailed info would be great & any info with pictures would be fantastic, I am always open to suggestions & advice. Thanks
    Typically the mag and gears get removed and the hole in back of cam cover plugged.Mount coil where mag used to be.Then install the dist. in the pump which will need drive gear on rear cam ,sleeve collar etc.,then reroute your handlebar advance cable,which will be to short to reach dist.(I think),so get longer control cable,inner and outer.
    Then you will only need to change your ignition switch and do some wiring.
    Mags are cool,especially if original equipment.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
      Typically the mag and gears get removed and the hole in back of cam cover plugged.Mount coil where mag used to be.Then install the dist. in the pump which will need drive gear on rear cam ,sleeve collar etc.,then reroute your handlebar advance cable,which will be to short to reach dist.(I think),so get longer control cable,inner and outer.
      Then you will only need to change your ignition switch and do some wiring.
      Mags are cool,especially if original equipment.

Tom
      there is also a bushing that needs to be removed to install the plug, save this as it is made of "unobaintable" in case you decide to go back to the mag or someone else needs it
      Kevin Valentine 13
      EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Originally posted by kval View Post
        there is also a bushing that needs to be removed to install the plug, save this as it is made of "unobaintable" in case you decide to go back to the mag or someone else needs it
        Thanks Kevin, Can a mag switch be modified to use wit a distr ?

Comment

How do you install the shaft sleeve in the pump ?

Comment

I have been looking through all my manuals & Parts books but can't see if the oil pump is the same for both with just a dist dropped in it looks like set screws or pins hold the sleeve in place Never done this but learned everything else I fixed so.... Time to learn more

Comment

Originally posted by 45OZ View Post
              Thanks Kevin, Can a mag switch be modified to use wit a distr ?
              yes,

I have changed them both ways. distr to mag and mag to distr
              the gear for the distr might be there already, when you pull the pump it will be right there keeper and nut
              Kevin Valentine 13
              EX-Chief Judge

Comment

There is a bolt solution on ebay right now. Oil Pump and distributor, buy them swap them out sell yours, job done.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INDIAN-MOTOR...0366f5&vxp=mtr

You will need to open the cam chest to get the Mag Gear out.
                You will need new leads, a coil, different wiring to the coil as the wire to the Mag is for grounding.
                It is a big undertaking if you get the timing wrong.

What sort of Mag is on the bike now, as good hot spark running mags are hard to find.
                I am in the process of going the other way Dist to Mag

Comment

When you mentioned the key switch- depends on which one you have. A true original needs replacing unless you know how to modify. Most 41's have managed to be replaced over the years with the newer style universal switch. Does both mag and distributor. Just have to check wiring diagram to see which way to change wiring. Marty

Comment

Working...
                  X