Tuning after first start up-'47 Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To add to Tom's diagnostic,

The fuel level should be 5/8" with a dry 1/4" float setting.

But it still sounds like its sucking air to me.
    20 psi is 5 psi of overkill, but I must ask: You used a constant, regulated air supply, right?

One interface that cannot be bubble-tested is between the carb and manifold.
    The manifold should be arbitrarily ground flat, because they all need it.
    The carb flange should be arbitrarily lathe-cut, because they all need it.
    flangcut.jpg
    One possible test for this interface is an un-lit propane torch, but the machine must be running first.

Good luck,

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

With regards to testing between the carb/intake flange....starter fluid will take care of that test. And if 20 psi is overkill I'd rather do that than push only 10 psi thru and get a false idea of any leaks. And yes the air supply was constant & regulated throughout the leak test. The problem this morning was not float level, the kinks & twists in the copper fuel line was starving the engine. I took the copper POS fuel lines off and installed the rubber fuel line that I built. Until I get her running correctly that crap copper stuff stays off the bike. Bike is running, but only on the front cylinder. Wondering if that exhaust valve on the rear is stuck open again. I pulled the plug....soaking wet with gas. Wiped it off and connected it up. Spun the motor over and there is spark to the plug. She was running, albeit on one leg, with the choke fully open. When I attempted to close the choke the motor wanted to stall.

So, tomorrow I'll pull the rear head again and see about the exhaust valve. Once I get both cylinders kicking I'll get her running and put some starter fluid to the carb/intake joint to check for a leak there.

Keep the advice coming gents...I really appreciate it.
      Last edited by Xtracho; 11-21-2014, 04:17 PM.
      Mark

1947 Indian Chief
      1984 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
      1998 Honda Valkyrie

Comment

Originally posted by Xtracho View Post
        With regards to testing between the carb/intake flange....starter fluid will take care of that test. And if 20 psi is overkill I'd rather do that than push only 10 psi thru and get a false idea of any leaks. And yes the air supply was constant & regulated throughout the leak test. The problem this morning was not float level, the kinks & twists in the copper fuel line was starving the engine. I took the copper POS fuel lines off and installed the rubber fuel line that I built. Until I get her running correctly that crap copper stuff stays off the bike. Bike is running, but only on the front cylinder. Wondering if that exhaust valve on the rear is stuck open again. I pulled the plug....soaking wet with gas. Wiped it off and connected it up. Spun the motor over and there is spark to the plug. She was running, albeit on one leg, with the choke fully open. When I attempted to close the choke the motor wanted to stall.

So, tomorrow I'll pull the rear head again and see about the exhaust valve. Once I get both cylinders kicking I'll get her running and put some starter fluid to the carb/intake joint to check for a leak there.

Keep the advice coming gents...I really appreciate it.
        If you have good compression in the rear cylinder not likely its stuck,unless it is stuck closed,but that would have probably broke something by now.You can also just lift the valve cover and watch the valve go up and down.
        Did you drop the main jet to clean and inspect?
        Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom...will do. And I have a new main jet that was just delivered. So I'll pull the old one, check, clean, and replace if necessary. Will keep everyone updated.
          Mark

1947 Indian Chief
          1998 Honda Valkyrie

Comment

What carb are you running that has a main jet.

Comment

It would be this carburetor. Called a nozzle I suppose. Sorry I'm not up to speed on the common nomenclature or common names for these parts.

carb.JPG
              Mark

1947 Indian Chief
              1998 Honda Valkyrie

Comment

I would double check and make sure your gas caps are vented - not plugged up. Watching with interest good luck.

Comment

Thanks Tom and everyone! Rain has made it hard to do anything the last few days. With 3 bikes in the garage, space for working in there is limited so I have to roll her out onto the driveway. May get a chance to get something done here this afternoon or tomorrow. I must admit, getting anxious to get to where I can take her for a short jaunt around the neighborhood. Thanks to pisten-bully for a good deal on some tires.
                  Mark

1947 Indian Chief
                  1998 Honda Valkyrie

Comment

Originally posted by Xtracho View Post
                    Thanks to pisten-bully for a good deal on some tires.
                    What kind of tires did you get Mark. Did you get new tubes also?
                    Jason Zerbini
                    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

One is a Coker and the other is an Armstrong. Still have to get the tubes. Could not pass up the deal from Pisten-Bully. Thanks Harry!!

Originally posted by Skirted View Post
                      What kind of tires did you get Mark. Did you get new tubes also?
                      Mark

1947 Indian Chief
                      1998 Honda Valkyrie

Comment

Working...
                      X