46-48 Girder Front Link Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 46-48 Girder Front Link Adjustment

Any thoughts/experience on how to adjust front fork links other than follow instructions in manual?

Loosen jam nuts, tap left end to loosen taper, adjust shaft in/out until thrust washers slightly turn, tighten jam nuts.

Should all thrust washers (right and left ends) still turn after jam nuts are "tightened"?

When I tighten jam nuts, right washer no longer turns, left barely. Which shackle to adjust first? Top front, top rear?

Wheel on ground or front wheel off ground?

Thanks

Fredthecat

you want all of the thrust washers so you can turn them slightly by hand. I adjusted mine with the front wheel off the ground. I don't think it matters in whick order you do it in. I just snugged all of mine up then adjusted them.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

During initial assembly, how far should bolts be screwed into/through right side shackle?

Is the photo on page 49 of repair manual backwards? It shows threaded bolt to right (left side of bike).

Comment

I do the job without the o-rings/felts, makes it a lot easier. Get some modern nuts so you don't wear yours out doing this. 7/16 x 20 and 1/2 x 20. Then I break the tapers and stick the o-rings/felts in, after adjustment. This is the easiest way to grease the 46-47's too, break the taper, pull out the u shaped piece and stick some grease in, re-install and done.
        Probably easier to do the adjustment dry too.

Comment

Originally posted by Fredthecat View Post
          Thanks for the help.

During initial assembly, how far should bolts be screwed into/through right side shackle?

Is the photo on page 49 of repair manual backwards? It shows threaded bolt to right (left side of bike).
          It is correct to look down on bike from seated position, which is how the shaft looks from above.

Comment

Now it makes perfect sense. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X