47 Chief main ground point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47 Chief main ground point

Where is the main ground point for wiring harness on a 1947 Chief?

i.e. Where does the positive lead from battery connect to frame?

Thanks

Originally posted by Fredthecat View Post

Thanks
    Been so long since I was 6-volt, but I can't remember grounding the positive side since the old John Deere's!
    Now, on my 12-v 47 Chief, I park the batt's negative post by the bike's chain guard (right side), and run a ground from there to the rear-most primary cover bolt, for convenience, so I can first disconnect the ground when servicing, or when it's to be parked for the winter and batt out for the warm storage.

Comment

Originally posted by Fredthecat View Post

Thanks
      Battery negative (ground)goes to rear trans cover bolt closest to -terminal.Short loop around the seat post. Battery positive goes to switch.
      Tom

Comment

Actually I think the ground went to one of the 4 transmission tower cap bolts. I still have a NOS ground wire from Indian Motorcycle Supply days and the length was perfect for that. I think Rocky still has these, #27B153X NOS in stock. Rocky has a lot of the original wires NOS still.

Comment

Thanks very much. Sorting out wire routing. 6 v NEGATIVE gound! Battery negative lead around battery and seat post to transmission tower cap bolt. Obviously I have a LOT to learn here.

Still driving Model A and Dodge WM300 Power Wagon with 6v Positive ground.

Thank you,
          Fredthecat

Comment

[QUOTE=cdf6333;130810]Actually I think the ground went to one of the 4 transmission tower cap bolts. I still have a NOS ground wire from Indian Motorcycle Supply days and the length was perfect for that. I think Rocky still has these, #27B153X NOS in stock. Rocky has a lot of the original wires NOS still.

Hey bBob,Im no judge,but if you look close at the pic of the 47 motor in the overhaul manual it looks like the ground goes around the post(opposite the way I run it) to the trans cover bolt almost under the gen. pulley where you can see the terminal insulation sleeve.No wires visible to tower.
            Tom

Comment

Hey Tom,
              Where in "Repair and Overhaul Manual "74"" is such a pic? The copy I have I don't see a photo, could save me lots of questions to you.
              Thanks

Confused with wire route:

Does Battery ground wire run from battery terminal outboard, around left side of battery (outside with script label), then inboard and around seat post?
              Or from terminal inboard around rear of battery, around post to trans?

i.e. does ground wire show looking at left side of bike?

Comment

Got it! Battery in backwards! Negative terminal goes inboard front, Positive terminal outboard rear. Red/white wire from Ammeter to Battery Positive.

Yellow/black ground wire from Bat negative around seat post (right or left side) to trans?
                Is that correct?!?

Also, my 1948 style regulator is block ink marked 6V POS...this led to thought of positive ground.

Getting closer

Where would auxillary circuit breaker be installed?? Inline with Battery Ground wire between Battery Negative terminal and trans?

What amperage? 10a,15a,20a?

Comment

You must have a different manual.The Repair and overhaul manual has a full page pic of a 47,maybe early 48 motor,right and left side page 8&9.
                  Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom.I looked at that pic a million times and never saw that terminal right in front of the generator drive pulley. The NOS wires that I bought work perfectly to a top bolt, I never tried a tower bolt. It seemed like this 9 3/4" beautiful wire was much too long for the lowers. I do it different now, I run trans tower cap to a new style fuse holder, then up to the battery terminal. It's long and hides on the frame, near the side stand bolt hole. I use the modern fuse, cause I pull it out every time I get off the bike. Bike fires still scare me and I'd never run without a fuse.
                    Short story, Vito Colavito who worked as a kid for his parents Indian dealership, remembered pre 45 Chiefs coming in with blown fuses. They were under the seat. He just moved both wires to the same side of the fuse block, eliminating the fuse. Never blew again!
                    BTW, the horn and the "silent kicker" makes the pictured Chief an Early 48, right?
                    Happy Motoring
                    Bob

Comment

Thanks all.
                      The manual I have seems to be "missing" pages 7-8, 9-10...the photos in question I expect. This copy has been kicking around here for years and is marked Pierce Motor Center San Gabriel Calif...I expect the missing pages/removed photos are hanging on a wall somewhere. I'll buy a newer copy.

Bob, What size fuse do you run?

Comment

Originally posted by cdf6333 View Post
                        Thanks Tom.I looked at that pic a million times and never saw that terminal right in front of the generator drive pulley. The NOS wires that I bought work perfectly to a top bolt, I never tried a tower bolt. It seemed like this 9 3/4" beautiful wire was much too long for the lowers. I do it different now, I run trans tower cap to a new style fuse holder, then up to the battery terminal. It's long and hides on the frame, near the side stand bolt hole. I use the modern fuse, cause I pull it out every time I get off the bike. Bike fires still scare me and I'd never run without a fuse.
                        Short story, Vito Colavito who worked as a kid for his parents Indian dealership, remembered pre 45 Chiefs coming in with blown fuses. They were under the seat. He just moved both wires to the same side of the fuse block, eliminating the fuse. Never blew again!
                        BTW, the horn and the "silent kicker" makes the pictured Chief an Early 48, right?
                        Happy Motoring
                        Bob
                        Yea I missed the horn and kicker.I know the scraper and flat case casting under the tappets could be 47 or 48,but a second look and that's an aluminum oil pump also ,so 48
                        Tom

Comment

I think most are using 20 amp fuse or circuit breaker. I think if you ask five people you'll get four different answers on where to install the circuit protection. Mine is between the voltmeter and the ignition switch.
                          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                            I think most are using 20 amp fuse or circuit breaker. I think if you ask five people you'll get four different answers on where to install the circuit protection. Mine is between the voltmeter and the ignition switch.
                            My breaker is connected directly to the battery positive post and the + wire is connected to the breaker via a wing nut for quick disconnect. Mine looked pretty old so I tested it by shorting to make sure it still worked.
                            Jason Zerbini
                            Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                            Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

I'm not sure that a positive placed fuse will always shut the bike down. I read somewhere years ago that if you're doing a whole system, unlike a multi-fused car, the ground will always be safer.
                              When my battery exploded on the way to Rhinebeck a couple years ago, a negative fuse didn't even shut it down instantly. The bike ran on crazy high generator voltage for a minute until I pulled over. Without a battery to hold the voltage to 6, the generator will badly overheat and throw the solder off the armature. This is to be avoided.

Comment

Working...
                              X