Common, Grease those bikes!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common, Grease those bikes!!!

Just opened up the rear shocks on this Chief and was amazed, there are zerks on the top and bottom, there was enough grease to fill the zerk (maybe a pump), yet I pulled the shocks apart and could blow through the fitting the nipple screwed into all the way to the other side, absolutely no grease, I have found every fitting to be like this, I am lucky that not many miles were put on since it was last assembled, however I can't leave anything to chance. Everything is coming apart but man what a pos it would have been if all had rusted solid.
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

NiteOwl,i have just re assembled mine today,how much grease should be in the plunger? the shaft is full but how much is required ?the hole unit or not .Rob

Comment

I am not going to pretend that I know the exact answer to this, hopefully an experienced rider will jump in.

I would suggest the spring assembly and inner housing be lubricated well with grease, also ensure the shaft is full, (my new to me bike was dry), then follow the manufacturers greasing schedule. I would then use 3 strokes of the grease gun following that schedule. (I am open to being corrected and would welcome opinions.)
      Bob Beatty
      AMCA 19209

Comment

I went through what left I have for Indian literature and every mention says simply to grease it and do it every thousand miles. I think your suggestion seems reasonable Bob. Where's that Red Fred when ya need him?
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Ok no reply yet ,come on you Indian people ,how much grease is needed in the plunger ?

Comment

I'm hoping for the answer too. This is something I never thought about. I figured like old Brylcreem, " a little dab will do ya". It's not filling anything like a ball joint, just lubing the shaft.

Comment

I will dive in again. Upon assembly grease the outer shaft, fill the inner shaft (grease-way) and zerks with grease. Assemble and follow the recommended grease schedule (apperently 1k mikes) and then give it 1 shot at each zerk. Can't go wrong.
              Last edited by NiteOwl; 03-13-2013, 05:16 PM.
              Bob Beatty
              AMCA 19209

Comment

Working...
              X