Distributor shaft tollerance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor shaft tollerance

My 1940 Chief has, what seems like an excessive amount of slop in the distributor shaft. To me it looks like about 10 degrees of free play between the slop in the rotor, and the slop in the dist. shaft key where it goes into the pump. Is that normal ? It runs okay, but I've noticed a jerkiness in certain power bands.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Nevermind, I found the information I needed in the military Chief manual.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Glad you got it figured Eric. I did some scouring in my books and came up short. That's what I get for letting literature go with the sale of an Indian!!!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

I've done the same thing Cory and regretted it. By the way, my book said there should be minimal movement in the dist. shaft and rotor, and that the shaft should be replaced it there is. . . . I guess I knew that.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
          Nevermind, I found the information I needed in the military Chief manual.
          Eric, curious as to what the book says? I noticed some free-play on mine, but I don't think it's as much as 10 degrees. Thanks!

Whoops! Never mind, just saw your response with "minimal" being the key word. Thanks for passing that along.
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Eric, you can just weld the tang and regrind it. Also on the rotor, I just put a small piece of paper over the top of the shaft then push the rotor down onto it. It will tighten it up pretty well.
            http://laughingindian.com/
            http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
            A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

Harry, the exact wording is:

Try to turn the rotor right and left. If it has too much play, the rotor shaft is worn. Free play on new equipement is approximately (1/8").

Mine has quite a bit more than 1/8" so I'm looking for a new shaft.

The book I have is "OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE, INDIAN MOTORCYCLE, MODELS 340-B/344"

Very dry reading but it has been invaluable for my Chief and has more information than any service manual I've seen.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by indianut View Post
                Eric, you can just weld the tang and regrind it. Also on the rotor, I just put a small piece of paper over the top of the shaft then push the rotor down onto it. It will tighten it up pretty well.
                Thanks Danny. I was hoping someone would say that as I have already silver soldered shim stock to the tang. The paper trick is brilliant.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                  Thanks Danny. I was hoping someone would say that as I have already silver soldered shim stock to the tang. The paper trick is brilliant.
                  "

"Tang" used to be something the astronauts drank. What are we talking about here? the bottom end of the shaft? The slot in the pump drive is pretty wide in my 47, and the blade (tang?) is pretty slim, which yields a lot of slop. I always set the timing while holding the rotor counter-clockwise against its driving direction, and rotating the distributor until the points sparked, and it always ran dam good there. But what always bothered me was the distributor's wobble that so many chiefs have. ... the zen-masters tell me to quit looking at it.

Comment

Mmmm... a learnin' thread! Great stuff!!!

Oh, and it sounds like you want things perfect Phil!!! You must be some kind of antique motorcycle enthusiast or something....
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                    X