No announcement yet.

48 Acquired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be leaning toward fabercycles's advice. Enjoy that motorcycle... old bikes are known to sump.....
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks Fabercycle for the bolt size. So it does not get a nut on the back right. It should just thread into the housing behind the primary cover, right?

Just had the bike out again today and am really getting to like the foot-clutch side-shift feel and effect. Nothing at all against modern bikes, but riding this beast makes you feel like you are on a masculine machine. I am now asking myself why havn't I got one of these before. Guess I didn't know anyone who had an antique bike to influence me so the planets had to be aligned just right.

I can tell you the seed was planted in 1995 when I was in WY headed for Yellowstone on vacation. We left Buffalo and cut across the plains through a tiny town called Tensleep and stopped for breakfast there. As we got out of the car 3 old Indians rumbled in loaded with gear. I have pictures of them somewhere. A brief conversation with the rugged riders told us they were on a several hundred mile ride through the west. I had never seen an Indian up close at that time and was mesmerized as well as impressed with the riders pioneering spirit. I remember thinking how brave these guys were riding these old things in the middle of nowhere. Interestingly details of that vacation are a faint memory at best but I can remember that morning in Tensleep almost like it was yesterday.

Question: What's the best technique to hand signal when coming up to a turn but you have to downshift at the same time if its one where you can't wait until after the turn is made to downshift? I've noticed its rather important to be in the right gear depending what type of turn it is especially in traffic.
      Jason Zerbini
      Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
      Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Howdy Jason,

That 1/4 x 20 threads into the soft alloy of the trans housing, tighten very carefully - and when their missing it generally means thread issues. If you elect to source locally stick a probe in to determine your bolt length, too long and it'll bottom out before your primary is secured.

Though a better oil pump than the iron one they replaced, they're more prone to wet sumping especially if the oil feed line check valve ball has been removed. You're generally good for several weeks storage before its an issue. Kiwi sells a quick release drain I use on both of mine.
        Cheerio,
        Peter
        1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

The fact that there is no bolt in the 1/4-20 bottom hole on a 'Rebuilt Engine' would bother me. As a rule, that hole gets an Insert 100% of the time on a Rebuild!
          http://laughingindian.com/
          http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
          A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

Jason, you have done well it seems. I just finished my '47 Indian Chief basket after 10 years of restoring (and sitting while building a house and shop). I bought this Chief from Dick Winger as my very FIRST restoration from the ground up. It runs great. I learned the hard way about the large cam and small cam as far as the blued up pipes go. I got them off right now and will buff them up right. I will, with a little more time, get back now and again. Dick, I miss ya, buddy! Have fun and be safe.

Leland
            Last edited by FUUN063; 10-22-2012, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Ride the Chief and have fun, don't worry much about the correct technique for hand signals. Cause most those idiots out there don't know what they are anyways. ;-) Again, a very nice Chief.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Lovejoy View Post
                Ride the Chief and have fun, don't worry much about the correct technique for hand signals. Cause most those idiots out there don't know what they are anyways. ;-) Again, a very nice Chief.
                Interesting! I had an old timer here at work tell me the exact same thing nearly word for word! Thanks for the reply!!!
                Jason Zerbini

Comment

With the abnormally nice weather this past week in SW PA I was able to put some more miles on the bike. What a treat this thing is to ride. I can't get enough. I've come to love the foot clutch & side shift. I came home from work Wednesday and my wife was waiting impatiently to go for a ride.

I relocated the handlebars behind steering dampener knob today and they seem a little better positioned but haven't ridden two up yet with the new position though I think it will be OK.

Also got a 3.5" long 1/4 x 20 bolt to replace the missing one on the lower primary noted above. It torqued down no problem so that was a welcome relief.

Weather is turning nasty this evening so looks like it will be sitting for a few days.
                  Jason Zerbini

Comment

Working...
                  X