48 Acquired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 Acquired

My wife and I got back yesterday from bringing home a 48. I know the veterans probably have trouble remembering the excitement of the first one so pardon me if sound a little too enthusiastic and get too wordy. I just wanted to share the story.

I found the bike on the Arkansas craigslist in early August and it looked like a possible candidate. I knew I did not have the knowledge to hand over hard earned money so I joined AMCA, went to Jefferson, then met several local Chapter members and viewed their bikes a week later. After cramming for the test so to speak, we still felt the bike was worth pursuing but the seller said bike was sold. Then, the seller contacted me late last week and said the buyer (a close friend) couldn't come up with money.

The biggest concern for me and my newly found "advisors" was the bike did not run and the seller did not have ambition to get it to run and it was priced about where a running bike would be. After assessing the character of the sellers, we decided to bite so scraped up some cash and headed to AR for the 1000 mile trek. The sellers were great folks as we anticipated. When we went into the garage, there was a huge plastic storage bin filled with parts. The seller said that goes with it. I almost fell over because he hadn't said anything about that many extra parts. I haven't had time to try and figure what all is there but did find a couple Roadmaster emblems to my delight! Also found a cover in the box that someone made for the opening in the rear fender that was supected in a previous thread as being for a siren.

The seller used the bike as a prop in a business and never rode it. He acquired it in 07 from the widow of the man who owned it since 1953 in Rogers AR. The seller told me the widow thought she may be able to find saddle bags that went with bike but he hadn't pursued it. I will be contacting her.

We drove straight through and escaped rain on the drive home despite various storms through the mid west. Despite little sleep in 32 hours I could not resist the urge trying to get it to run as soon as I unloaded it. I wasn’t sure if it was a good idea or not since I have never worked on an antique motorcycle but had studied up a bit. Experience said I should sleep first but that was over ridden by excitement. I would sleep a whole lot better once I knew it would run.

I flushed the tanks which looked pretty good. Found a clogged line between carb and petcocks. Noticed the distributor did not look positioned properly vs pictures of other bikes. After a little investigation I realized the rear cylinder was firing on the small distributor cam when the front cylinder was on its compression stroke. No wonder it wouldn't run. The advance retard mechanism wasn't connected properly so fixed that too. With timing set the bike started in two kicks and sounded beautiful. You can imagine my relief. Never having ridden a foot clutch side shift bike, after insuring oil was returning to the tank I put it in gear and away I went through the field for a maiden voyage. There is so much power the rear wheel was spinning easily so I had to be careful. Ad to that the throttle cable wasn't returning properly and its a wonder I kept it upright but oh what fun!

In a nutshell we are thrilled with the bike. Its matching numbers with original sheet metal. The paint is a nice 10 footer and shows well but does have some issues up close specifically behind the muffler where it bubbled from the excess heat when it was ran lean (note blue pipe). I found receipts with some documentation from the previous owner indicating the engine was rebuilt not too long before this seller bought it in 07. I'll have to go through that in detail to get an idea what all was done. I was looking for a presentable unmolested solid rider and "so far" it fits the bill perfectly. I'll go over it with a fine tooth comb but also want to have an experienced owner look it over before putting it on the road. These bikes are amazing machines and the wife and I have no regrets we spent the money.

One question - Are the handlebars supposed to be setup in front or behind the round adjuster knob. I've seen pics both ways.
    Attached Files
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

I can feel the excitement....YeeHaw!!! Oh yeah, congratulations, you've definitely been bit.
    Rich
    Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Fantastic... and you did it right. Researched, checked out the options and found a bike that 'spoke' to you! It is always a thrill when you find that perfect bike you have been looking for, whether it's your first or your 5th.

I will shortly be in the Chief Club... I will be going next month to pick up a '38! Rigid w. leaf spring front end. Found at Jefferson! Now I just have to finish my damn garage so I have a place to put another bike.

Cheers and congrats! Let's see some videos!

Sirhr

Comment

You did very well and did it the right way. Good luck and ride safe. Looks like a well done machine.
        D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Nice Jason! You're going to have a lot of fun there and it's a great looking Chief. Now get some sleep!

I've not seen a set of handlebar risers set vertical like yours, doesn't mean it's not done, but rotating them back is the "norm" I think...one good thing about having them set up like yours is that they'll never hit the ignition key, plus it'll give you more room with the Chummee seat!
          Last edited by pisten-bully; 10-20-2012, 08:19 PM.
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Nice score Jason!!! Ya done good!!!
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks for the votes of confidence! I resolved an issue with the throttle returning to idle today and the wife and I took a short ride out on the highway. We're amazed at how well the bike handles.
              I have a couple things I need assistance with:
              See attached pic. There is a bolt missing at the bottom of primary cover. The other bolts have nuts on the backside but this one isn't accessible where a nut would go. Anyone know exactly what size of bolt goes here and if it uses a nut?

I have heard the right tank internal seam can split and mix gas with oil. Since the previous owner didn't ride the bike, I would like to verify 100% this one is OK just for my own curiosity. Whats the best way to test for an internal leak.

PS - Sirhr - Don't you have any room in the "house" for the new 38?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Skirted; 10-20-2012, 09:36 PM.
              Jason Zerbini
              Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
              Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Something to watch is for oil leaking past the check ball in the oil pump (by gravity) if the bike is parked for any length of time (days). Indian never solved that problem with the oil pump, to my knowledge. Some people install a petcock in the oil feed line, but to prevent them driving off with it turned OFF, they also create an aircraft-style "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" streamer to attach to their petcock!

Another cure is to remove your oil cap, and put a sharpened wooden dowel down through the oil and plug it into the oil feed outlet, through the tank. You won't forget to pull that and replace your oil cap before driving off. The problem addressed is that your oil may slowly seep past the oil pump and collect in the sump of the engine. Your oil tank will empty and your engine cases will fill!

CAN make for a messy, oil spewing start up after a long storage, as not all the oil finds its way back up to the tank. The other solution is to drain your engine crankcases before trying to start up. Just an aside, and I'm sure the Indian guys have other solutions, but I thought I'd bring it up for your consideration.
                Gerry Lyons #607
                http://www.37ul.com/
                http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Skirted View Post
                  the wife and I have no regrets we spent the money.
                  Jason! DUDE!

Think of when you HAD the money sitting in the bank....
                  Did you feel the way you feel NOW that you are the new owner of this Beautiful machine when you were just "sitting" on that money?!
                  I don't expect an answer to that rhetorical question.

WE ALL know the answer!~ once you take that bike out and ride it, the viseral feeling of hearing, riding, feeling and smelling that bike will make your inner child come to life!
                  NOT TO MENTION the attention you will get riding it.

It will put a smile on everyone's face and the satisfaction you will receive will be 10X greater than just having the money in the bank!
                  You can bank on THAT!

We only got ONE LIFE man! May as well get out and enjoy it...and you are!

Congradulations!
                  AMCA #6151

Comment

Very nice machine, congrats!

Comment

No room in the house... I'd put a bike in the living room, but the Gatling gun is already in the way... 'just sayin.

I was already working on a garage extension and putting a new floor in my 'main' garage. The paint all lifted and so I ground it off and am just finishing the tile grouting today. Much nicer floor! So will be a couple weeks more before I can put anything back in its place in the garage!

I agree with Tom McBride. We're all going to be staring at the lawn from the wrong side eventually. Old bikes are way more fun than bank account statements!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Jason, in answer to your question, the bolt is a 1/4-20.............. NOT a 1/4-28 fine thread like the rest of them. As far as the oil leaking into your gas, I wouldn't worry about it it's not very common, besides you can look inside the adjacent gas tank and tell if theres oil in it just by looking.....I wouldnt' go and get all worried about sumping either, also not all that common of a problem. Right now you got a few nice days of weather coming at you, and I would blow off work a couple days and ride the wheels off it. ........enjoy!

Comment

This website is in dire need of a "THUMBS-UP" option....
                          Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Nice bike! and I do recall the first time I started my bike up and was able to ride it around the yard. I put MILES on it riding around the back yard learning how to ride a foot clutch/hand shift before I went down the road.... and you know what? It handled so much better on the road than soft ground! HAHA!

It looks like you even have the shifter to convert it back to the right hand shift in your parts pile? (Sorry, I am not an Indian expert)

Enjoy the Chief!
                            Last edited by Jim; 10-21-2012, 11:04 AM.
                            Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Thanks for letting us ride along on your adventure, I can feel your enthusiasm from halfway across the country. Looks like you made a very good choice, great machine.
                              Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Working...
                              X