1969 xlh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1969 xlh

I bought a 1969 titled XLH kick start only belly numbers match but I thought after 1967 they only made the XLH in electric start could this have been a special order?

Motor number starts with 69XLH?

Here's what I learned from the xlforum.net people:

• XLH changes include:
      • Electric starter.
      • The engine case was redesigned to allow for the new starter.
      • New single 12V battery replaced the dual 6V ones.
      • The frame on the XLH was doglegged (kicked-back) just above the swing arm pivot to accommodate the new battery box and electric start. The XLH swing arm was lengthened accordingly. The long frame has the seat post tubes set 1.5 inches towards the rear, so the upper shock mounts, fender rail mounts got moved rearward.
    • Additional Information:
      • From 1967 to 1969, the factory was making two cases for the Sportster, one for the kick-start XLCH and the other for the electric start XLH.

• XLH changes include:
      • Kick start was dropped.
      • Peanut tank was an option.

1969 was the last of the original XLCH engine cases (one for kickstart, another for electric start)
    AMCA #41287
    1971 Sprint SS350 project
    1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
    1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
    1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
    96" Evo Softail self built chopper
    2012 103" Road King "per diem"
    plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Originally posted by silver65 View Post
      I bought a 1969 titled XLH kick start only belly numbers match but I thought after 1967 they only made the XLH in electric start could this have been a special order?
      Does it have correct electric start cases? It is easy to delete the starter, Did it come from the factory that way? No, it did not.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

There is no signs of there ever being a starter and I know the changes that was made appeared to be a xlch case and yes the motor number starts as it should 69XLH1 with the odd number one following the year and model in the titled VIN maybe this was a replacement case and the person only wanted kick start. Florida DMV transferred title into my name so the it was good.

Comment

Are you saying you have a 69XLH with XLCH cases?
          VPH-D

Comment

Yes I think so when I bought the bike I told the seller that I was pretty sure that after 67 the XLH only came with electric start but he did have a clean Florida title that was active I checked before purchase and the 69 motor with the matching 57 cylinders was in a early 70's framed with the narrow glide front end single disk with the banana caliper that I think was only on 73 XL's.Who knows a lot of things went on in the 70's. making it a rat rod now.

Comment

Starting in 67 the XLH was built on electric start cases which the CH used beginning in 1970. I can't imagine how you have an XLH number on early kick only mag CH cases. weird
              VPH-D

Comment

That's why I thought I would ask if it could have been a special order and if HD did those for the sportsters in the late 60,s or a replacement case stamped with the XLH vin number.

Comment

It is extremely unlikely your bike was a Special Order,, the buyer would have been told to simply choose an XLH or a CH. I suppose someone could have ordered CH replacement cases and supplied the old cases with XLH serial number for the factory to stamp. In this scenario, it is likely the bottom numbers would not be 69 model year.
                  I ordered replacement cases for my wife's 69XLH in the later 70s and had to turn in the old cases, or the left side side, I don't remember which.
                  VPH-D

Comment

The real test here is the belly number. While you state both sides match -- what YEAR were they matched?

If these are legit kick-only 900cc CH cases that matching date cannot be past 1969 as production of 1970 models commenced during 1969.

Anyways, your theory on replacement cases is a negative.

If the cases went up in smoke under warranty, the work would have been done by HD and you would have received the same e start cases, period.

The reason is that almost nothing of the drive line is exchangeable. This includes the main transmission shaft, main shaft 4th gear, the clutch hub and clutch basket, etc. You also need a totally different primary cover. The 67 up mounting pattern for the primary cover is different on H models than the earlier three bolt, non electric start H cover.

You basically would have to swap out the whole primary side, the transmission, and then add the kicker bits to make over a 69H into CH cases. You'd then have wiring to contend with and more. That's not a warranty repair and the cost of all that work and the parts would have been eye popping.

So, let's say this was done outside of the warranty period by a private citizen. Well, they'd still have to go to HD for cases. This means you'd find cases with bellies sometime after 1970, when the warranty expired. Considering no kick only, de-humped CH cases were made after 1969 -- the story becomes apparent. Not to mention, like the dealer, the private citizen would have had to change all those other parts to make it work. Kinda crazy when e start cases were plentiful.

Here's the other reason: few people know that 1970 and 1971 900 sporster cases ALL came with the VIN pad on the left unstamped. Beginning in 1970, the VIN was carried on the right case. HD didn't change the left side case to remove the VIN pad until 1972. So, it was really, really simple to buy blank 70 or 71 cases and stamp your number. But, those cases all are electric start.

The truth is that the motor VIN is unlikely to trip you up. Plenty of not so correct numbers are out there with varying degrees of correctness.

Instead, I'd be way more concerned about your "70s frame" and why it is missing a VIN. That's more likely to cause you a problem on resale if it goes to a strict vin inspection state. Almost all LEO will look at the chassis first and flag the missing VIN - when they see the other VIN -- double flag. It all comes down to whether someone notices. But if they do -- and they can recover a VIN -- be prepared for a lot of hassle.

Comment

PS -- it is possible, but unlikely, that someone "dehumped" your cases. This was a more common thing for 1973 to 1976 cases that were being used by hot rodders who wanted to keep the light look of the early CH. Many of those folks are skilled enough that it can be hard to tell from the outside what they did. But, few finished the inside of the cases to the same extent. If you suspect this could be the case (doubtful if it isn't a big inch stroker) then a bore scope through the primary filler can confirm.

Comment

Both the belly numbers on the left and right fo the cases start with the numbers 769- so it looks like they are 69 cases and the vin has the straight back 6 & 9 in the vin on the left side of motor any way it's registered and titled that all that matters I will be riding it in a week or two I will post a picture of the bike in a few days.I was just trying to get some answers to some questions I had. Knowing that I had a odd ball.

Comment

There would be no reason to "special order" a kick-only XLH, when there was already a kick-only model available - the XLCH. Something has been changed - either the vin number, the cases, or the electric start removed and kick added. The only way you will get a good answer is by posting some photos of the bike and motor, specifically the serial number. Also, check the belly numbers on the bottom of each case to see what they say.

Comment

I have checked the frame vin it is a 1973 XLCH 1000 frame and there is no theft recorded or salvage record for the vin number check with the NICB.org National Insurance Crime Bureau.

Comment

Originally posted by silver65 View Post
                              vin has the straight back 6 & 9 in the vin on the left side of motor

What type of straight-back 6/9 is it?

If the cases appear to be for an XLCH but the SN says XLH then could the C have been removed?
                              How many characters in the sequence portion, four or five? If five, what is the second character? Can you post a partial photo of the SN please. And partial photos of both BNs. Thanks.

Frame VIN is for a 73XLCH? How high is the VIN? What do the characters look like? Is the VIN consistent with the type of frame? Are you aware of Service Bulletin 656? Can you post a partial photo of the frame VIN please. Thanks.
                              Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X