spiral speedo gear missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spiral speedo gear missing

why is the spiral gear on counter shaft first missing on my 63 xlch. There does not even seem to be room for it on the shaft. The drive unit has been cut, the hole welded shut and then threaded back into the case. Is it normal to alter the case or bearing area when this is done? As I said I don't see room for the spiral gear between 1st gear and the case. I'm trying to get a speedo working on this bike and this has me cornfused. thanks

Somebody made sure they weren't going to blow the rear of the case out. Does the case look like it has been repaired in the left rear corner? Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Yes it does. There is a weld on the left case from the primary to the center line. What happened?

Comment

That was a weak area in the case and they were known to break there when the riders were doing burnouts and flat shifting them. There was a counter bore in the case for the speedometer drive and when repaired you lost that. I have seen the whole corner of the case busted out.
        Jim D

Comment

So the stock speedo set up is not an option without major case work I take it. What are people doing for a speedometer?

Comment

thanks for the replies by the way

Comment

Originally posted by dustydog View Post
              So the stock speedo set up is not an option without major case work I take it. What are people doing for a speedometer?
              If you want to keep the front drum brake you can get creative and retrofit a front wheel speedo drive assembly. There are also rear wheel drive setups out there. I had to do it with my '72 XLCH.
              Ride 'em. Don't hide 'em.
              Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

Cool! What did you do for the front wheel set up? That would be awesome.

Comment

I did that repair/upgrade to later shaft on a '53 K. The original design was so weak that even a K model would break it.

Comment

Do you mean you beefed up the case around the counter shaft bearing?

Comment

Yes, and the later shaft uses a smaller Torrington, leaving more metal on the case.

Comment

Oh I see. Now things are starting to make sense. But still, what to do about a speedometer? Why do things have to be so difficult?

Comment

Working...
                        X