Motor Mount Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Mount Bolts

I have recently been informed that my 1964 XLCH had the older parkerized front lower motor mount bolts (thanks Murph!). However, in addtiion, I now believe that there were actually two earlier types of the parkerized bolts and two types of later cadmium-plated bolts. The earliest consisted of 3/8" rods with with both ends threaded and a nut welded onto one end (I just fabricated one of these sets). The next type consisted of 3/8" threaded rods with the nuts threaded-on and stamped in place soas not to turn (I have one of these OEM sets). The next type of bolts were stamped and cad-plated. The latest (final) series of bolts were actual bolts with formed heads.

The two questions that I have are as follows: Is the above accurate? What year did the bolt and spacer finish switch from Parkerized to cadmium? I know for sure that 1964 were parkerized and that 1968 were cad, but I don't remember which year was the change-over.

Thank You...
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Bill the second type Was not stamped. It was just a heavy lock nut. The mark on them is how they make them. I also had to reproduce them for my 65 XLCH.
    Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

1967 was still parkerized.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen... Looks like 1968 was the changeover year...
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
          Thank you gentlemen... Looks like 1968 was the changeover year...
          Bill, I was a little groggy when I answered this last night. I believe 1966 was the first year for cad bolts, not 1968. They might have even changed during the 1965 model year.

Comment

Thanks Jerry - duly noted!
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
            X