No announcement yet.

Shovelhead ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have seen this on both frames and engine cases over the years. I have no doubt it is factory original.

Jerry

Comment

Thanks Jerry!! Appreciate your knowledge!! I'm thinking it is something the factory did! Why? Someday maybe we'll know, and have concrete evidence that they did!! BPK!!

Comment

As I stated several years ago in this thread, I saw several "strike thru" bikes come out of the crate in about 1979. IIRC, the ones I saw were motor only.
        VPH-D

Comment

Originally posted by VPH-D View Post
          As I stated several years ago in this thread, I saw several "strike thru" bikes come out of the crate in about 1979. IIRC, the ones I saw were motor only.
          VPH-D
          Folks,

I have encountered three "strike-throughs" at least.
          One was a shovel that the State Police told me the Factory replied that the hand had grabbed the wrong stamps. (Gasp! There were mortals working at the MOCO?)
          One was a Sportster with the same VIN stamped below it.
          One is my own '72 hack frame, also with the very same VIN stamped below it. The State Police explanation was that they were Factory "reconditioned".

If the Illinois State Police accept them, it makes AMCA judges the only nazis that would not.

.....Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-29-2016, 01:42 PM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotton,
            You have a good point about judging' strike thru" bikes. In addition to "strike thru" bikes, I also saw several 1979 machines, maybe a dozen, that had line bore numbers in place of the VIN on the right case.
            VPH-D

Comment

I hope i am using this thread correctly. First time in. Hi to all. I may be in trouble. Picked up what I saw as a 1970 FL for 32 hundred. Title was from Florida. Frame and motor numbers look right. I am in N.C. Went to the NC DMV and the new title showed up as a 1981 CUSTOM! I am told the bike was registered in NC in the past. The DMV was of little help. They told me the front end which is about 1980, double disk, FX style was stolen! I asked if my bike was to be taken. They said no. I was given a long story on how to bring suit against the DMV and I could get a clean title, even though I was issued a title. It is very confusing. I have up loaded some photos. My question is what do I have, if anyone can say. Point me in a direction. The bike looks like an FX with FL tanks. Nothing special.

1002160825a.jpg1002160827.jpg1002160828.jpg1002160830.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X