No announcement yet.

Shovelhead ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's always amazed me just how picky they can be on bikes. There are a lot of 1917 to 40 Fords running around this state, original titles and we all know they never came that way They just stare an praise them, the bikes we're all thieves.

Comment

And millions of illegal invaders taking welfare, medical and jobs, and they can't find them either. Oh well...............
      Mike

Comment

They're all having tea with Obama and Osama.

Comment

Come on guys,
          Why does it always have to deteriorate to politics.
          Keep that crap out of here, this is about MOTORCYCLESin case you missed it!
          Robbie
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

OK, I'll quit after this: Ha! You thought I was gonna go off, didn't ya? Have a great day!
            Mike

Comment

Lighten up Rub,this is America. Anyway, back to the numbers, they only caused me grief once an that particular cop would have found fault with something any way. Now if it had been 69 or earlier it definetly would have gotten a ride down town.

Comment

I've owned a couple of original 72 FL's. The number boss was still on some of the early ones although the 72 FX I have now does not. I cannot speak for the 4's but I would guess you had a real deal bike in your grasp. I personally believe 72 to be the best of the Shovelhead FL's.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry it would be hard for me to find one year Shovelhead I wouldn't want, but if I had to pick one it would be a 69. It's just a pleasure riding my brothers bike, I rebuilt it 20 years ago from a rolling junk pile,and it still purrs like a kitten and rolls down the road like a big comfortable couch. I definetly agree the early Bikes with there inferior brakes and all, kind of summed up what a Harley is.

Comment

Quote from Robbie at post #8: ‘PS, the disclaimer is for Eric!’

Robbie, I see my name there but I’m not sure why that is. Can you please explain the significance. Eric

Comment

I bought a new Shovelhead engine from Budiler's H-D in downtown Los Angeles back in the early '70's. The serial number had a line through it with a '60's style Bar & Shield stamped at each end of the line. The new number was stamped directly below it. The dealer told me this had been a warranty engine and a new engine with the original number was put in the chassis. The warranty engine was returned to the MoCo and reassembled with better parts. God Bless AMF as they weren't gonna let a warranty engine go to waste.
                      I bought several engines during the AMF years. I had found several with at least one cylinder with an oversize piston in it. One was found to have one cylinder .010 over and the other was .040 over. AMF wasn't gonna let a defective bore on a cylinder stop it from being used. Just keep boring it until ya get it right and put it out on the line. I am glad that today AMF means Audios Mother Fletchers as far as those folks are concerned.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Robbie, I see my name there but I’m not sure why that is. Can you please explain the significance. Eric
                        Just to let you know that there is plenty of evidence that it occurred and no need to take my word for it!
                        Robbie
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Cheers, Robbie. I got Bolfert’s book from the library again although I found no further info about the bike I posted at #4.

I don’t recall seeing any lined-through VINs in person but I knew it happened with some factory bikes. The photo below is from a publication I have and according to the author it shows a factory job. It's a bit hard to see on screen but the line runs right through the middle of the back VIN. Both VINs bear 2A (FLH-1200) and the VIN nearest the front indicates 1976. Eric

Comment

Quote: ‘I saw several strike thru machines come out of the crate in about 1979.’ VPH-D

VPH-D, I’m wondering if that was due to the 1979 exception I’ve read about and heard about where Harley apparently changed the numbering procedure for a short time that year before going back to normal. Eric

Comment

Hey Folks---just looked at a 1979 FXE, and it has the crossed out engine vin, with another vin# underneath, factory stamps, with the stars-etc. And, the not crossed out vin# matches the frame stamping!! I have spoken with MoCo Archives, and theres no proof of this happening@ the factory? So, anyone have any hard facts/proof? Thanks, appreciate it-BPK!!

Comment

1978 double stamped engine vin! Is it factory??

Here is a pic of the vin. on engine!! Also note gasket material on case 1/2s? Thanks, BPK!!photo-12.jpg
                                Last edited by BPK!!; 08-25-2016, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X