1973 oil sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973 oil sensor

My 1973 electraglide was ideling just adfter start up i noticed that oil a cup or so had came out of the vent hose onto the floor then i noticed that the oil light had stayed on . I shut it off any ideas . I just filled the oil tank a few days ago could have I overfilled the tank and caused this problem

Look in your oil tank and make sure you are seeing oil return

Comment

Originally posted by ldfly112 View Post
      My 1973 electraglide was ideling just adfter start up i noticed that oil a cup or so had came out of the vent hose onto the floor then i noticed that the oil light had stayed on . I shut it off any ideas . I just filled the oil tank a few days ago could have I overfilled the tank and caused this problem
      When the tank has emptied into the crank from sitting, Idfly,...

Topping it off certainly is more than 'design', but pukeing out the breather is better than blowing out cylinder base gaskets and such.

The sending unit shouldn't be affected, unless you somehow achieved a diabolical air-lock. Please remove the sending unit to allow air to purge before another trial.

With luck, the gremlin jumps out.

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Anybody know where I can purchase a american made oil sending unit . tired of wasting money on repop junk Thanks if you can help

Comment

Anybody know where I can purchase a american made oil sending unit . tired of wasting money on repop junk Thanks if you can help
          Gosh, Idfly,..

You mean you think you've got a repop that died?

You could always test it:
          https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...pressure-gauge

Lest you throw money at it,

...Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-12-2024, 04:46 PM.
          AMCA #776

Comment

Napa has some that will fit, probably made by our southern neighbors, but better quality than those made south of Mongolia.
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

I have used the EVO style sending switch on earlier motors with good results.
              vph-d

Comment

after looking into the pressure switch it checked out fine. No oil returning to the tank. any ideas what to check next is the oil pump rebuildable or should I replace the pump any ideas Thanks

Comment

You'll have to disassemble the right side of the engine to determine why the pump stopped operating.
                  It is Likely a woodruff key for a gear has failed, but WHY???

Locate the actual failure and then locate the cause(s) of that failure. Let us know what is found and possibly good photos. This will help all of us in determining a possible cause of that failure.
                  This way it can all be fixed at one time while it's apart.

Duke

Comment

after looking into the pressure switch it checked out fine. No oil returning to the tank. any ideas what to check next is the oil pump rebuildable or should I replace the pump any ideas Thanks
                    If the pump is properly 'primed', Idfly,.

(Meaning oil purges freely when the sending unit is removed: no 'air-lock'...), then a drive key possibly sheared.

Only opening the pump, and possibly the cam cover, will tell.

A half-century or so ago, I a tiny chromed screw with wire still wrapped upon it came out of my new Paughco oil tank; Sheared the key on a feed gear, but no other damage, thanks to the idiot light!

...Cotten
                    PS: The most difficult aspect of the chore is getting the assembly to seal, as oil will continue to foul gasket surfaces as it drains from the rest of the motor, forever.
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-22-2024, 10:40 AM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

After removing the cam cover and checking the gears i found a keyway sheared it appeared that one gear the one on the end of the oil pump shaft slightly damaged and the shaft was damaged ordering parts today Thanks for all the help

Comment

IDFLY,
                        Did you determine what caused the woodruff key and gear failure?
                        Something would have passed through the gear causing the stress that sheared the woodruff key.
                        As I mentioned earlier in the post above, possibly a tappet roller needle?

Duke

Comment

I could not find anything wrong with the lifters rollers all looked good no missing needle bearings. the existing key ways were very hard to remove took a lot of time to get them out of the slot the oilpump drive gear in the cam chest was a bit worn so I replaced it put it back together last night started up and the oil light went as it was supposed to ill take it for a test ride today but i agree with dukekleman I wish i could have a reason for the problem Ill let you know how the test ride goes THANKS for all the help

Comment

Possible debris from primary chaincase returned to engine?There is an aftermarket inline screen available for primary return oil.
                            Sidenote:The camcover has to have both areas sealed from each other or they can start sending the oil out the crankcase breather as you go down the road. Common problem with aftermarket chrome cam covers.

Comment

The inline screen sounds like a great idea where can I purchase the aftermarket screen

Comment

Working...
                              X