Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to replace the stock harness on a 77 FLH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to replace the stock harness on a 77 FLH?

I've never done it before....Should I just lay the new harness over the old and replace wires until the old harness comes free? Any tricks, suggestions?

Best harness manufacturers? I Googled FLH Harness and several manufacturers came up...

Thanks for your time.
    John

Take lots and lots of pictures of the old one from different angles. Then you can blow them up to see details later when installing the new one.
    Jim D

Comment

John,
      I agree there are a lot of companies selling wire harness kits for older motorcycles.
      It would be very helpful if a person could see them all in person, laid out on a table top to inspect.
      I'm hoping others share their insight and experiences with whom they believe makes nice harnesses...

Comment

Originally posted by John Jolley View Post
        I've never done it before....Should I just lay the new harness over the old and replace wires until the old harness comes free? Any tricks, suggestions?

Best harness manufacturers? I Googled FLH Harness and several manufacturers came up...

Thanks for your time.
        John
        Years ago I needed a harness for a 1980 FLT but one was not available from any vendor so I did exactly what you described. I would remove one wire at a time and cut/re-crimp each individually and replace it in the connector block. If this is the route you choose I would recommend a proper crimping tool and correct connectors. Buy all the wire and have everything ready to go before you start cutting. Once installed and powered up, I was tickled that everything worked.

Comment

It appears as if there are 4 parts to the harness. The main, two handle bar harness and a rear fender harness.

There's a connector block inside the headlight cowl and another behind the coil bracket.

Comment

Working...
          X