No announcement yet.

1972 frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

This is the best I could get without getting it down
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

That is Definitely a factory replacement frame. It has production updates on it...

Comment

Superglide frame.

Comment

Thanks for the extra photos. Hard to read the forging number on the front engine mount but it may be 47664-48-Y. To the right of that number there was sometimes a forging hallmark and a forging die number but those two markings may not be on your frame.
            In front of the front engine mount I was expecting a thin flat plate welded between the downtubes. It was introduced for 1980 models to accommodate the ignition module assembly but your frame hasn’t got a plate and I can’t see any sign of removal.

Back of the rear engine mount may have forging number 47671-58-Y.

Bracket to accommodate the clutch cable and rubber mount for the front of the oil tank was first welded to the frame about mid/later-80.

Earliest frames I‘ve seen with plates around the top of the seat post tube are some, not all, mid-81 models.

Coil bracket seems to have first been welded to the frame as of late-82 models.

Upper rear forging number is 47645-65-Y as I expected but it’s hard to be certain about the number on the other side of the forging. Maybe 3?

On the left side of the webbing the first character is 2 but I can’t read the second character. Perhaps 4?

I can’t explain why there is no plate across the front downtubes but most features and markings are consistent with a frame made in May 83. The lower R-H rear forging still has me intrigued although I’m not certain how long it was used for as I mentioned above. Maybe the factory still had some of those forgings left over at that stage so they were used before changing to the next style?
            Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
              Superglide frame.

Why Super Glide frame as opposed to a frame for some other model? Thanks.
              Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Speeding Big Twin View Post

Why Super Glide frame as opposed to a frame for some other model? Thanks.
                Eric

Eric

No provision for seat post eliminates FLH and the hole crossways thru the neck says it is for one piece tank which eliminates all the bikes that utilize the smaller split tanks.

Jerry.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post

Eric

No provision for seat post eliminates FLH and the hole crossways thru the neck says it is for one piece tank which eliminates all the bikes that utilize the smaller split tanks.

Jerry.

I don't think no provision for a seat post eliminates FLH. In my 41–84 H-D FL Models parts catalog the latest seat post (plunger) assemblies I see listed are for 81 models. Maybe that is why I see no provision for a seat post on frames made for 82-later models. And the frame we’re talking about appears to have been made in May 83.

As for the hole crossways thru the neck it was visible in the first photo in this thread but it doesn’t necessarily say it is for a one-piece tank. Anybody could drill a hole there in a frame that didn’t originally have it. I myself have done it and with more than one frame.
                  Eric

Comment

Thanks everyone for giving me ideas of what I have here, apparently it appears to be an anomaly and a gathering of leftover "on the shelf" parts to create a replacement frame. I will just chalk it up to that and pass it on to someone who wants a cruiser or chopper build as opposed to a proper restore option for a new build.

Comment

Working...
                    X