1972 frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972 frame

I have a 1972 fx frame that has a disc brake swing arm. Did they have disc brakes in 72 or could this be a late model frame technically 73 model year or maybe swapped out. Don't know much about fx models.

Most likely someone changed the swing arm to the later style. Does VIN end in H2? If so it's a 72 model year frame.
    AMCA #41287
    1971 Sprint SS350 project
    1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
    1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
    1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
    96" Evo Softail self built chopper
    2012 103" Road King "per diem"
    plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Yes it's H2, it's a shame that it got replaced because the frame is mint.

Comment

I agree someone may have changed the round swingarm to the disc brake style swingarm. But just because the VIN ends with H2 doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a 72 frame. What do the VIN characters look like? Are they consistent with factory stamping for a 72 frame? For example are the C and H a certain width? Any 4s, 6s/9s? If so what types? If you’re not sure what a 72 FX frame VIN normally looks like you could post a partial photo. For example 2C123++H2.

Also check the frame date code and the numbers on both lower rear forgings. Photos?
        Eric

Comment

PXL_20230529_194107057~2.jpg
          here it is,I don't really have any love for this frame just trying to figure it out since it's sitting around the garage. Probably pass it on to someone who could use a good frame.

Comment

Thanks for the photo but the VIN boss is longer than I’d expect. Here’s what it normally looked like for 72.

As of 1981 models the amount of characters in the frame VIN increased from nine to seventeen although the VIN boss didn’t increase in length until about mid-81. Your VIN boss looks like the longer style.

Can you post photos of both sides of the entire frame please.
            And look for a date code on the left side of the top engine mount. Photo?
            Also look for numbers on both lower rear forgings. Photos? Thanks.
            Eric

Comment

Speeding Big Twin,
              I agree, my 1971 frame numbers are like you showed in your photo. I wonder if Tgarcia's frame wasn't a factory replacement frame due to damage occured from an accident in its years of service???

Comment

It's up in the garage rafters so it's a huge pain to get down to take pictures of in its entirety.i can probably get pictures of the forgings and motor mount when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by dukekleman View Post
                  Speeding Big Twin,
                  I agree, my 1971 frame numbers are like you showed in your photo. I wonder if Tgarcia's frame wasn't a factory replacement frame due to damage occured from an accident in its years of service???
                  I agree a replacement frame is a possibility. I have photos of some other 1970s VINs on frames with the longer boss. Some look like fake stampings but others may be authentic and some of those are even on 83–84/85 style frames.

Notice in my example the C and H are what I call narrow and the H appears to have its crossbar higher than halfway while on the other frame the C and H appear wider and the H looks to have its crossbar in the centre. But in this instance I don’t think those differences necessarily indicate something untoward. If it’s a replacement frame it may even be on record at the factory.
                  Eric

Comment

Here is the numbers you were asking about
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

The -78 and -83 casting numbers should answer your question. Most likely a replacement frame.
                      AMCA #41287

Comment

Don't know anything about 70s frames so the casting numbers didn't mean anything to me,looks like part numbers. I did see the E3 on the motor mount so I'm guessing that is a model year stamp.

Comment

Casting numbers are like part numbers, the dash indicates first year of use. So the frame is 83 or newer based upon the -83 casting number. I don't remember how to decode the date stamp, but I'm sure Eric or someone will respond with the correct answers.
                          AMCA #41287

Comment

Ok I see,that makes sense. So sound like the most likely of scenario is it was a replacement. I guess that makes it a good candidate for a rigid back half install.

Comment

On H-D frames the letter in the date code represents month with A for January and B for February etc. The number indicates year depending on the type of frame. On your frame E3 indicates manufacture in May 1983. This would be consistent with the long VIN boss which first appeared about mid-81 as I mentioned above.

Date code E3 is also consistent with the type of lower left rear forging.

The lower R-H rear forging has me intrigued. Its number is 47652-73 which was introduced about mid-73 but I’m not certain how long it was used for. For the first couple of years the forging had no provision for a passenger footpeg but that situation was addressed with a single-hole block welded to the back of the forging from about mid-75 thru 76. The two-hole block welded to the back of your R-H forging was introduced for 77 models along with that bracket for a footpeg.
                              But was the factory still using that type of R-H forging on frames produced in May 83? Or would the R-H forging have been the type shown below which is similar to what you have on the left. This R-H forging number appears to be 47646-83. Also notice the gusset plate welded to the back of the downtube and forging.

Further investigation may be required. I can’t see any forging ID on your steering head but are there any markings on the other side of it? Perhaps in the webbing?
                              Any forging ID on the front engine mount and rear engine mount?
                              Near the front engine mount is there a thin plate between the downtubes?
                              Any forging ID on top of the seat post area? Or maybe a stamped number? Or is there a plate across that area?

Can you post a photo of the left side of the seat post where the coil would normally be fitted.
                              Photo of the front mount for the oil tank?

Both upper rear forgings may have 47645-65-Y but do they have any other markings? Thanks.
                              Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X