No announcement yet.

Big Bore question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotton I explained in my first post exactly what I ve found that causes a head gasket to fail. One head gasket or two head gaskets, doesn't matter. Those items I listed apply.

No dancing on my end. Just conversation on each topic of change that has been brought up. My thought was that I was helping, maybe I'm not???

Comment

Originally posted by dukekleman View Post
      In order to achieve gasket sealing longevity, I highly recommend that you re-torque your gaskets early and often until you noticed them holding torque and settling has stopped.
      Otherwise you will have problems later...
      Really Duke...

How do some Folks get away without a retorque (as prudent as that may be?)

Tain't the fuel, Duke.

Its too much air.

....Cotten
      PS: Why did the MOCO bother to redesign something that worked for over three decades?

SHOVMANI.jpg
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-09-2023, 03:14 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

images.jpg
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

I actually asked that question back then.
          The answer I was given was:

"We did it to allow movement during engine growth for expansion and contraction."

I was shown motor growth where they had dial indicators set up measuring the height changes of the engine from ambient temperature to operating temperature. This affected the manifold fitment on a V twin design engine. They still build manifolds that allow this growth today on 2023 models as we know.

Comment

Originally posted by dukekleman View Post
            I actually asked that question back then.
            The answer I was given was:

"We did it to allow movement during engine growth for expansion and contraction."

I was shown motor growth where they had dial indicators set up measuring the height changes of the engine from ambient temperature to operating temperature. This affected the manifold fitment on a V twin design engine. They still build manifolds that allow this growth today on 2023 models as we know.
            Doesn't that raise the question, Duke,...

How did the seventy years of American v-twins that came before that, do so gloriously with rigid brass ferrules?

....Cotten
            PS: You were half-right with 'fuel', as today's P4gas swells common O-rings, leading to the dreaded manifold leak, meaning more air, thus heat damage:

P4ORING1.jpg

ORING.jpg

The bands suffered more, by my experience, decades ago.

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-09-2023, 05:33 PM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by OWG View Post
              I just purchased a 93in stroker in a 76 FLH. ( My 1st) I had to take off the rear head of due to a blown head gasket. I'm having the head repaired now but being my first stroker, I was wondering if the pushrods are adjusted the same as a 74 ci motor. Also does someone have headbolt torque specs on a stroker? Thanks.
              Have you reassembled yet, OWG?

Which manifold design do you have, and does it mate up to the installed stroker head spigots?

You don't want to go through this twice...

...Cotten
              PS:
              Originally posted by Rubone View Post
              Pushrod adjustment is the same. Headbolt torque is same as stock. No need to overthink it. Stroker just means trouble, not special.
              We do need to think about whether you have stock pushrods or not, OWG; Have you stock hydraulics (on the right), or have they been replaced with solids, or some "performance" assemblies?

LIFTERS.jpg
              (That's when it gets a little more tricky, but still no reason to resent strokers...)
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-12-2023, 11:19 AM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
              X