Big Bore question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Bore question

I just purchased a 93in stroker in a 76 FLH. ( My 1st) I had to take off the rear head of due to a blown head gasket. I'm having the head repaired now but being my first stroker, I was wondering if the pushrods are adjusted the same as a 74 ci motor. Also does someone have headbolt torque specs on a stroker? Thanks.

Pushrod adjustment is the same. Headbolt torque is same as stock. No need to overthink it. Stroker just means trouble, not special.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

In order to achieve gasket sealing longevity, I highly recommend that you re-torque your gaskets early and often until you noticed them holding torque and settling has stopped.
        Otherwise you will have problems later...

Comment

Cometic MLS head gaskets hold torque, mine didn't move when I checked them.
          Last edited by joe fxs fxr; 05-04-2023, 05:51 PM.
          AMCA #41287
          1971 Sprint SS350 project
          1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
          1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
          1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
          96" Evo Softail self built chopper
          2012 103" Road King "per diem"
          plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Gaskets don't blow themselves, Folks.

....Cotten
            PS: Even on strokers!
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I agree Cotton, they don't...areas of concentration when dealing with a blown head gasket vary based on engine design. In the case of a shovelhead engine, I've found over the years a standard list of checks...
              1) Head bolt integrity/quality
              2) Proper head fastener torque value, sequence and re-torque. MLS gaskets having a different sequence than conventional gaskets
              3) Cylinder head bolt insert failure or inserts that are proud to the surface
              4) Cylinder head gasket surface trueness
              5) Cylinder heads and/or Cylinders that have been resurfaced to excessive and require different length head bolts
              6) Cylinder head and Cylinder RA surface finish.
              60 RA for conventional gaskets and 30 RA for MLS gaskets
              7) Fire ring interference due to machine work and various head gasket thickness
              If the above items are correct, accounted for and performed no issues should arise...

Comment

You forgot the prime cause, Duke!

HEAT

.....Cotten
                AMCA #776

Comment

I honestly can't say I've run into a shovelhead, head gasket failure, I'd blame on heat alone. Granted our climate up here is cooler so our oil temperatures don't always reach their optimal temperature.
                  Heat is an engines friend until in excess and becomes the enemy...Your right, it must be monitored and controlled for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by dukekleman View Post
                    I honestly can't say I've run into a shovelhead, head gasket failure, I'd blame on heat alone. Granted our climate up here is cooler so our oil temperatures don't always reach their optimal temperature.
                    Heat is an engines friend until in excess and becomes the enemy...Your right, it must be monitored and controlled for sure!
                    Ever see both head gaskets blow at once, Duke?

Anybody?

When one head gets much hotter than the other, it ain't climate change.

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

No , I can't say I've seen that one. Literally blown together? I would assume something very major, cylinder head to cylinder fitment /clearance issues or defective fasteners.
                      ​​​​​ I have seen defective cylinder head bolts break, while the engine was on the bench in the engine stand. Next morning broken head bolts were laying on the bench top from both cylinder heads. There was a service bulletin on these after market fasteners due to manufacturing issues.

Comment

I've had a few come in with both head gaskets blown.A student bought a cool FX with FL fenders cheap.Rode to iowa city on freeway,each hill was worse only 45mph at the top of the hills. As dukekleman mentioned overtorqued head cause the inserts in the cylinders to pull up causing uneven surface.This is the most common issue I have seen.

Comment

Some big bore ZEL rear cylinders also have a problem with the head bolt nearest the exhaust port. The casting is incomplete under the top fin and causes distortion which causes blown head gaskets.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by dukekleman View Post
                            Please Duke,

If not heat alone, what did you blame it on?

Heat is always the common denominator, and gaskets don't see much friction.

Combustion is where the heat comes from, and when one cylinder exceeds the other, something lit the fuse.

....Cotten
                            AMCA #776

Comment

Torque, to much, to little...
                              The items I've listed above are all relative to pressure being applied to the gasket surface sealing area. When analyzing, the end result is lack of sealing pressure. Even when over torqued, say like the inserts pulling, it still dismisses the sealing pressure applied and causes the failure.
                              Proper material, key word proper or correct, used in making a quality head gasket can with stand the temperatures themselves. They need correct torque for clamping force to seal and allow dissipation of the heat. If they aren't torqued correctly, the flame front and combustion pressure may be able to work away at the gasket. Dissipation of that heat is lost without the correct surface area contact and a failure occurs, loss of torque was the initial cause...
                              All the items I've listed above can cause the improper torque clamping value.

Comment

Working...
                              X