Jims Powerglide tappets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jims Powerglide tappets

Has anyone had any experience with JIMS powerglide tappets (# 2461-1) ? I have read some bad ( and good )reviews online . I've just installed them on my '71 FLH but haven't fired it yet . Any feedback would be appreciated . Thanks , Mike

I've used them. Had a couple that would randomly bleed down overnight and cause hard starting, missing on one cylinder until the engine had run long enough to fill it with oil. The original set I had were the "big axle" version. Two of those wore out the roller pin in less than 10K miles. I replaced the first one with the standard axle version and when the second one wore out, I changed out the whole set and went with solids. There was a noticeable difference in starting and throttle response after changing to the solids. I'm saving my pennies to get a set of Velva Touch because I'm sure I'll eventually get tired of listening to the solids clattering away.

Comment

Originally posted by tomanybikes View Post
      There was a noticeable difference in starting and throttle response after changing to the solids.
      Easier starting or harder starting, less throttle response or more throttle response? Thanks.
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

The stuff i have got in the last few years from Jims was a disappointment, and way over priced.

Comment

JIM's response to any & all complaints of poor quality: "We don't make mistakes".
          The Linkert Book

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
            Easier starting or harder starting, less throttle response or more throttle response? Thanks.
            Easier starting with the solids particularly when cold, I believe because the Jim's units leak down and don't open the valve (much) until it fills with oil again. I notice better throttle response with the solids particularly at lower RPMs. I'm using an Andrews #2 cam.

Comment

Originally posted by kitabel View Post
              JIM's response to any & all complaints of poor quality: "We don't make mistakes".
              I bought a set of Knucklehead rocker arm shafts from Jim's for 74" motor in 1993. They were good quality, but had machine shavings in oil passages. Not just a bolt on item !!

Craig

Comment

Bought some case races for a 1947EL, needed .020 "lapped" out of the before being installed.

Comment

These tappets didn't work for me. Bad conversation with "Eagle " on the phone . Wrote them a letter , with no response . Will never buy Jims products again !!

Comment

4-speed transmission case race is another example: way too small to fit, way too hard to lap.
                    The Linkert Book

Comment

Working...
                    X