1948 Panhead Headlight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1948 Panhead Headlight?

I'm currently restoring a very low number 1948 Panhead. I was told recently by someone who has been involved in antique motorcycles for quite a while (40-50 years) and whose opinion I have learned to trust that 1948 big twins had a one year only headlight with a sealed beam. I've never heard of this but when I check my parts book, the bulb, wire / plug, and bezel rings, etc all have dash 48 part numbers. The exception is the bucket which has a dash 49 part number but it is also mounted differently on a 1949 up hydraglide fork. Was there a 1948 only headlamp with a sealed beam used on big twins? It seems for certain that the cycle ray was still used beyond 1947 on 45 solos, servicars, etc.
    This guy had a couple of these on his shelf with his EXTENSIVE inventory.
    I looked in my stuff and found one too. It has the Bakelite electrical connection block like on a standard cycle ray as well as the spherical divot where it mounts to the fork headlamp bracket but it has a sealed beam. The back of the bucket is more rounded and is not marked Cycle-Ray.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    I'll try to post some pics of what I have.
    Mark Masa
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

I have never seen a 49 style Lamp that has the-48 part number in a cycleray bucket yet alone on a 48 pan.

Comment

All the numbers in the '48 parts book still list the -35 numbers. The '49 parts book lists a -48 headlight assembly as black for '49 model year. All the other -48 part numbers are also listed as '49. You may have Beck sealed Beam unit that was offered as a replacement for '48 and earlier H-D. I have never seen a sealed beam unit on any original '48 and a sealed beam will not fit into a -35 part number shell, the diameter is too small. Are there any markings or numbers anywhere on it?
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I've had this light kicking around for years. I assumed it was for an Indian.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Another view.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Probably 48 and up Chief.

Comment

Eric
              The light that you have posted pics of is just like the one that I have and also like the two that this guy I was talking about had on his shelf. Maybe his memory is foggy? Like I'd said before, a 48 only Panhead headlight was something I'd NEVER EVER heard of so I figured I'd ask. I guess I'm still on a hunt for a good usable cycle-ray.
              Is it in fact for an Indian? What year(s) FOR SURE?
              Thanks for the help.
              Mark
              Mark Masa
              www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mark, as 46EL stated; it's probably '48 and up Indian. I too have a '48 FL and I've looked at a lot of them over the years and I have never seen anything but a Cycle-Ray fitted. I have a question myself, regarding the Cycle-Ray. I have seen large script and small script on the back of those lights. Does that define the years they were used ?
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

The only marks on the lamp that I have is on the bottom of the bezel. It reads "Pat. No. 2458007" I looked it up and it's a patent for a "Securing band or ring" granted to the DIETZ CO R E on Jan. 4th 1949.
                  Mark
                  Mark Masa
                  www.linkcycles.com

Comment

IN the last 2 or 3 years I saw 2 very original Knuckles and a 48 Pan here in New England that were barn fresh bikes and they all were updated with sealed beam Indian Chief Headlights. I'm thinking it was probably an update that helped you see beter at night? The 46FL that was at Rhinebeck last year that originally surfaced here in Connecticut had one also. 46el

Comment

I have a mid year production 48 EL in its original condition. It has a cycleray.

Comment

All springer models up the 1957 Servi-car used Cycle Ray headlamp. H-D never had a sealed beam on a springer.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I'm still curious about the Cycle-Ray logo on the back of their headlights. I have seen a large logo and a small logo. Does the logo size correlate to specific years ?
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                            I'm still curious about the Cycle-Ray logo on the back of their headlights. I have seen a large logo and a small logo. Does the logo size correlate to specific years ?
                            There are several variations of the Cycle Ray. The pre war units do not have a ground wire attached to the inside of the bucket. During WWII a hole was drilled in the bucket and a screw,nut, and washer held this wire in place. Sometime much later the wire was riveted to the bucket. I don't know when the rivet arrived. There are at least two variations on the GUIDE and Cycle Ray on the back of the bucket. I don't know when those changes were made.
                            Be sure to visit;
                            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks Chris; my bucket has the rivet and small logo, which is on the 48FL.
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X