Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dates on 16 inch interchangeable Harley Big twin wheels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Underdoggie View Post
    That little "dent" in the case just above the 5, my 65fl has exactly the same dent in the same place. What do you think it is?
    So does mine and so does Don's 65 on eBay for sale. I am guessing Don's has never been apart

Rod

Comment

Originally posted by rbenash View Post
      Hey John! Good to see you again. I have no clue really. Maybe Chris would know. BTW - curious to see what your star hub cover looks like, can you take a photo? Forgetting what your SN is?
      My star hub looks like the one in the picture except the parkerizing on the star is a little darker. I will take a picture tonight and post it this weekend.
      Underdoggie
      Last edited by Underdoggie; 03-24-2011, 02:00 PM.
      John Underwood
      AMCA#14400
      Central Illinois

Comment

Originally posted by upsrod View Post
        So does mine and so does Don's 65 on eBay for sale. I am guessing Don's has never been apart

Rod
        Rod, Mine has never been apart either. I started a new thread about that little dent in the case above the serial number.
        Underdoggie
        John Underwood
        AMCA#14400
        Central Illinois

Comment

And this would be the first time mine was apart as well. So that dent is a curiosity for me.
          Ray
          AMCA #7140

Comment

Originally posted by Underdoggie View Post
            My star hub looks like the one in the picture except the parkerizing on the star is a little darker. I will take a picture tonight and post it this weekend.
            Underdoggie
            Yeah mine is parkerized but might look lighter than it actually is due to heavy flash. Don't know that I would change it to prevent a ding from the judging community. So be it. I know it's original to the bike and happy to take that hit if it happens. Kind of the same risk with the pipes. Mine are chrome as the originals were. I could paint them silver to avoid a hit, but what's the point in that if I know the originals were chrome as they came from the dealer. '65's are funny that way. The rear brake hose clamp on mine was cad but the experts that be and historical reference says they were painted black. I was able to find 2 NOS clamps that were black. I used one on my bike and gave one to Paul Friebus to keep in stock. And kept my original cad clamp. I know that factory photos are the reference ultimately but there's some strange things on the '65's that are not accommodated. For example I have a two piece stepped oil pump nipple that I'm sure appears nowhere in any reference AFA what is correct for '65 and positive it's original on mine probably because it was an early part.

Last edited by rbenash; 03-24-2011, 05:44 PM.
            Ray
            AMCA #7140

Comment

Ray,
              My 65 is fifteen bikes later then yours and has a one piece
              oil nipple. I think dual exhaust systems were all chrome at
              least from 1958 up.

Rod

Comment

Good info, thanks Rod. I think things were just pulled from what was available in the bins at times in '65 but that's just my opinion based on this example and a few others as the bike was taken all the way down, I know this bike was never apart and was around it and new all the owners since I was a kid. Mine was from the dealer with dual exhaust but I don't have the dealer order slip to prove it. Don't know what that means if/when you are having a restoration judged. It also had all the chrome groups and King of the Highway pacakages, along with the inspection plug on the primary.
                Last edited by rbenash; 03-24-2011, 06:53 PM.
                Ray
                AMCA #7140

Comment

King of the highway pkg. included dual exhaust. The compensating
                  sprocket greasing cap was dropped sometime in 1966 because enough
                  oil was thrown around by the starter ring gear that greasing was not
                  needed.

Comment

First - apologies for the hijack. I'll move to separate thread now if this continues. But can't resisit the interesting info as far as '65 speciific stuff.

Was wondering why the plug went away. The original covers on mine were polished by previous owner so i used a set of NOS ones to replace them during the restoration hard find, and keeping the original set as well. Thought it was cool to get back to original sand cast as well as maintain the plug/access hole that was on the original primary.

Last edited by rbenash; 03-24-2011, 07:35 PM.
                    Ray
                    AMCA #7140

Comment

Originally posted by rbenash View Post
                      Hey John! Good to see you again. I have no clue really. Maybe Chris would know. BTW - curious to see what your star hub cover looks like, can you take a photo? Forgetting what your SN is?
                      Ok, here is a picture of my rear hub and rim, which was on the front under a full wheel disk until last year. That is why the spokes and cover still look pretty good. I reversed the rims for the judging process as I had put chrome spokes on the other rim. The parkerizing looks pretty much like yours other than a little age. Also to PortagePan, you can see the rim pretty good in this shot too, it is not a saftey bead rim.
                      John Underwood
                      AMCA#14400
                      Central Illinois

Comment

Thanks for that comparison photo John!

Don't want to keep hijacking away from this topic. I have another couple '65 questions, I'll post on another thread.
                        Ray
                        AMCA #7140

Comment

'68 and later for the safety bead? That light colored parkerizing is what fooled me on the hab cover. Thought it was cad. But the book says the screw are cad plated. I still think some of the covers were painted black, but I don't know what years. Thanks. Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X