Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dates on 16 inch interchangeable Harley Big twin wheels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dates on 16 inch interchangeable Harley Big twin wheels.

I am moving this inquiry from "Judging" because I feel I am not in the proper place for my questions, and I don't want to hog up the wrong thread. By Chris's water test, I am afraid mine are the earlier type, and not for my '65. Oh well, I only have about 7 or 8 hundred dollars and a lot of time and effort wrapped up in them. Learn the hard way. Anyway, back to my question. Am I right in feeling the 49, 52, and 54 stampd on one side of the size, and KH number, with a single digit, in this case on the other side, are the year of manufacture?
    Mike

Yes, you are right....Rod

Comment

Well, I had to learn. But have you noticed that no one on Fleecebay has ever said or let anyone know about the tear and style of 16" rim they were selling? Just shows they are smarter than I am.
      Mike

Comment

I don't get the safety bead part of it, the two wheels look
        identical to me except for the greater rolled edge on the later
        rim....Rod

Comment

I attached two pictures here - don't remember which forum I copped the safety bead photo from, but it shows a safety bead. The other image shows the three rim profiles of which I am aware. #2 and #3 both pass the Chris Haynes "will it hold water" test, but you can see that the #2 is NOT a safety bead profile. I have KH examples of all 3 of these shapes. For a '65, I believe you require # 2.
          And yes, the informed observer can see the difference when examining a complete bike.

Hope this helps,
          Ralph

(Profile drawing not to scale)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by dommi7; 03-10-2011, 10:44 PM. Reason: sorry, typed the wrong # - 65 should not be safety bead
          Ralph

Comment

That is good info, although Palmer only lists two in the big twin style. Do you have knowledge of the manufacturers date continuing to be stamped in the later rims? Thanks. Mike

Comment

Ralph,
              Thanks for the pic of the safety bead. My original 1965 wheels, stamped # 43006-62, do NOT
              have a safety bead. They do pass the water test of the later wheel (rolled lip).....Rod

Comment

Rod
                I see there is a rim on ebay right now that is stamped like yours. He says it is KH, but the emblem doesn't look quite right to me. I thought you might be interested in it. Mike

Comment

So in the end the safety bead is nothing more than a reinforcement?
                  AMCA #3149
                  http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
                    So in the end the safety bead is nothing more than a reinforcement?
                    I think its purpose is to help keep the bead on the tire from coming unseated in case of underinflation or a flat.

Comment

After going back to the picture, I see exactly what your stating. Every days a learning experience. Bob L
                      AMCA #3149
                      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

I seem to recall the safety bead being a new feature in '68. I'll have to look and see if there is a shop dope on it. and yes, it is exactly what it is named, a "Safety Bead" which keeps the tire on the rim in case of a flat so it doesn't wad up. It was not intended as a reinforcement as none was needed. It appeared about the same time as the 5:10 tire. It is very obvious from the exterior surface of the rim, therefore easy to detect and deduct for.
                        Robbie
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I think my '69 does not have safety beads. I can't get to it right now, so don't take this as gospel. btw, I see I typed the wrong # on my earlier post.

Mike, I don't recall details of the markings and cannot access any of my parts at the moment.
                          "Do you have knowledge of the manufacturers date continuing to be stamped in the later rims? Thanks. Mike "
                          Ralph

Comment

Mike,
                            I saw that wheel on ebay. I don't need it, but you can see that it does not
                            have a safety bead. Maybe 68 up, for sure not 63-66.....Rod

Comment

OK, what is right? Palmer says there are only two chrome "interchangeable" big twin Harley chrome rims, with the 5/8"hole. One from 1940 to 1962, and the other from 1963 to 1980.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X