Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1955 FL Panhead: Why is my hand shift rod hitting the horn power pack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
    Judging from Chris's photo, The rod should have no problem clearing. Bob L
    Maybe cuase that's a footshift in the last pic Bob...........
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
      The canvas reinforced rubber is correct.
      It is correct for later bikes (starting around 58). Your photo shows a spring steel mount. Let me know if you want a comparison shot of the two mounts ... Perry

Comment

Alright, I think we're getting somewhere. I need to replace the rubber pack mount with the spring steel mount. Right? I was thinking something along these lines when I started this thread but was pretty much open to ideas.

My trans "wing" is facing up on my bike... interesting point, Robert Luland
        AMCA# 14373
        "I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles" -Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer.

Comment

Perry,
          The canvas rubber mount is correct as it is the same dimensions as the spring steel and was designed to replace the spring steel mounts that constantly broke. If you look at the illustrations in the 1958 and later parts book you will see the spring steel mount on the power pack but the replacement mount is the reinforced rubber.
          Last edited by Chris Haynes; 09-28-2010, 06:06 PM.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by bmh View Post
            Maybe cuase that's a footshift in the last pic Bob...........
            I was refering to the first Photo on page 1.
            AMCA #3149
            http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

My trans "wing" is facing up on my bike... interesting point
              So have you ever actually ridden this bike? Because as Bob was asking and you confirmed, if the "wing" is pointing up on a post '46 bike your shift pattern will be the opposite of your shift gate!
              Robbie
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                Perry,
                The canvas rubber mount is correct as it is the same dimensions as the spring steel and was designed to replace the spring steel mounts that constantly broke. If you look at the illustrations in the 1958 and later parts book you will see the spring steel mount on the power pack but the replacement mount is the reinforced rubber.
                Chris as you know the standard a bike is held to is how it left the factory. Regardless that the rubber mount was made available later as a repair part no 55 left the factory with a rubber hanger for the power pack. Attached are a side by comparison and one with the spring steel on top of the rubber. While the distance from the power pack rivets to the mounting point is roughly the same, the shape is entirely different between the two. Now, look again at the picture you posted. Still think it's a rubber hanger? ... Perry
                Attached Files

Comment

Ok great info and sorry I looked again after I got home from work and the wing is down (not up).

Here is the way I've got it set up today and that can't be right.

Could it be the steel hanger would cure the issue?
                  Thanks again. Brian
                  AMCA# 14373
                  "I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles" -Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                    So have you ever actually ridden this bike? Because as Bob was asking and you confirmed, if the "wing" is pointing up on a post '46 bike your shift pattern will be the opposite of your shift gate!
                    Robbie
                    Oh yeah Robbie, good point... please note the road grime in the latest pics. It gets ridden all the time, as it should. They especially enjoyed it in our homecoming parade. And you're right! It would be completely backwards in the shift gate. My bad. And now I can clearly see that I need to give it a good scrub before winter arrives!
                    AMCA# 14373

Comment

Working...
                    X