It's Alive!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Alive!!!

Well, after many hours of sorting out issues with my " it ran when it was parked" '48 the ol' girl finally fired tonight! I've got some tweaking to do but it runs!! I have to make sure that I thank Perry Ruiter for all his guidance in electrical components and wiring. His e-mail tutorial helped me understand the whole process better and without him I'd probably still be scratching my head!! I had part of a stock harness and then some wild random homemade stuff that just weren't in the wiring diagrams!!! Cotten as usual helped me along with the intake and carb process. (sorry dude I know you don't like public gratitude) I had rebuilt the carb and decided to leave it off and instead install a shiney fixed up one that I got on e-bay. Well after the second kick at the cat I yarded off the shiney one and re-installed my rebuilt. Something's not right with the e-bay unit and I'm going to have to tear into it to see what's up. Slojo was along for moral support and great suggestions when I needed them and Gary H. periodically showed up at my place to spur me along. I had swore that I was gonna get a runner this time around but the chance at a '48 even as it sat was too tempting. It's all worth it in the end and at least I know the bike now... This club is full of really good people who are more than willing to share knowledge to help a fellow member get another bike on the road and I'm pretty impressed with the folks that step up and lend a helping hand. This club rules!!!

Here's a clip... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_XUNxWzNuc if my son hadn't noticed my screw up I wouldn't have recorded anything at all!!! Sorry about the quality I'm gonna have to sort that out in the future. I'm happy to say it was a two-primer and one power kick to bring it to life!!! It was my lack of operating the digital right that failed to capture that!!! So yer just gonna have to take my word for it!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

I'm happy for you Cory. I think I'm going to get back into my '48 so I may be leaning on you for advice. It comes as no surprise that Perry Ruiter was of so much help. He has that gift of being able to make the complex, understandable. Congratulations again.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks Eric!! My '48 could be frustrating at times but it's always satisfying when it finally fires up. My bike has a little ways to go before it's "correct" but for now it'll be my rider and I'll do some swapping out as time and money allow. I'll do my best to help you if you need it but I've got a feeling judging from other bikes I've seen you do that you won't need much help at all. Your description of Perry is spot on. If there was a school that taught such courses regarding our affliction, I believe he'd make a dandy professor!!!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Congratulations Cory, there is a feeling that comes around when a person finally gets a "ran when it was parked" bike or a project to fire up I know when I got the 741 Indian bobber fired up that I got last september it just seemed satisfying, but! now ya gotta get the sidecar married to the 48
        Chuck
        AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Thanks Chuck! I got the pan running but there's still more work to do on it. I've got a seatpost bushing to change but when I went to locate the nut at the bottom of the frame... well it weren't there! It's held in there somehow but I gotta do some more investigating. There's a few more odds and ends to do and then I'll put a plate on it and see how it likes the road. Yes, the sidecar will have to get strapped on at some point. I'm falling terribly behind on other stuff I should be doing at home and have yet to get a ride in this summer but having said that after the solo mount is all sorted out and I'm happy with it I can see some time spent trying to sort out the hack.....
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Congrat's Cory, right on - I know it was a good feeling for sure.

Comment

Thanks Tom! I know most of us have had the feeling a time or two....
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Sounds good enough for the road right now to me Cory, but I’m the impatient type.
                Congratulations on getting this far with it. Isn’t amazing how so many thing get neglected around the house when there is a new bike to work on? Just not enough time in the day for everything to get done.
                ------------
                Steve
                AMCA #7300

Comment

Your not kidding there Steve! I was glad to hear it run but alas the carb leaks, the clutch needs adjustment... the seat post is mounted in a mysterious manner and needs the bushing changed.....etc,etc,etc,....!!! I'm getting impatient now as the weather has finally moved toward a summer feel and the road is calling!!! The Mrs. has been patient thus far but is hinting around to the "list"....
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                  X