65 fl seems loose in corners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 fl seems loose in corners

not sure what's going on with fl but it seems awful loose when riding almost like it's coming out from underneath you. can't really lean into corners or it feels like it's going over. I've changed tires to the dunlop 402's like my ultra, new wheel bearing front and back along with new axles, new swingarm bearings still no change. I did notice today after putting it up on the lift that if i spun the front tires the tread does not seem straight but wobbles slighty. front and rear tires have been aligned. could the rim be out of round, and is there a way to correct this by adjusting the spokes. needless to say it's getting frustrating riding this thing, and forget about getting it on the highway. any help would be appreciated

Originally posted by 65eglide View Post
    not sure what's going on with fl but it seems awful loose when riding almost like it's coming out from underneath you. can't really lean into corners or it feels like it's going over. I've changed tires to the dunlop 402's like my ultra, new wheel bearing front and back along with new axles, new swingarm bearings still no change. I did notice today after putting it up on the lift that if i spun the front tires the tread does not seem straight but wobbles slighty. front and rear tires have been aligned. could the rim be out of round, and is there a way to correct this by adjusting the spokes. needless to say it's getting frustrating riding this thing, and forget about getting it on the highway. any help would be appreciated

You don't mention if you've checked the neck bearings and triple trees.

Comment

or swingarm bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by moon wolf View Post
        You don't mention if you've checked the neck bearings and triple trees.
        not yet, is there a way to check the head bearing with out taking the front end apart.
        I know on my ultra I can check that by jacking up the front end, and the number of swings left to right will tell me if it needs adjusting. don't think this will work on the older bikes.

Comment

not yet, is there a way to check the head bearing with out taking the front end apart.
          I know on my ultra I can check that by jacking up the front end, and the number of swings left to right will tell me if it needs adjusting. don't think this will work on the older bikes.

I would try taking the weight off the front wheel and seeing if you have an excess play. You shouldn't have any back and forth on the fork stem at all, and it should turn freely and smoothly, without notching (a common problem with ball bearings).

Another thing to check are your handlebar bushings. If they are worn out the bike will seem to flop.

Comment

This may seem dumb but did you grab the tire while in the air and yank on it a couple of times. It sounds like loose spokes. I find this more in the rear than the front but will give all the thing you've stated (Washboard). I pull a wheel off my buddies bike a few years back and couldn't believe the wheel hadn't collapsed. Bob L
            AMCA #3149
            http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Ill bet its both loose spokes and neck bearings ! Ohhh one other thing if you think that Pan is going to ride like an ultra your in for a Hugh let down !!! Dont even think of comparing the two !!!

Comment

Check to make sure the frame isn't cracked at the left rear downtube where it meets the swingarm bolt casting. It's a common break, factory reinforced in 68.
                Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Originally posted by INLINE4NUT View Post
                  Ill bet its both loose spokes and neck bearings ! Ohhh one other thing if you think that Pan is going to ride like an ultra your in for a Hugh let down !!! Dont even think of comparing the two !!!
                  ok,thanks...I'll try some testing on the spokes and front end

I know this thing will not ride like my ultra, but a few people who had the 65 fl a few years ago are telling me that one of then rode it to daytona from new england and another one who tells me he did 500 mile trips all the time..I can't imagine riding this thing even 100 miles, tried one time to get it up past 55 on the highway and my feet were vibrating off the floorboards...couldn't do it

Comment

ok,thanks...I'll try some testing on the spokes and front end

I know this thing will not ride like my ultra, but a few people who had the 65 fl a few years ago are telling me that one of then rode it to daytona from new england and another one who tells me he did 500 mile trips all the time..I can't imagine riding this thing even 100 miles, tried one time to get it up past 55 on the highway and my feet were vibrating off the floorboards...couldn't do it
                    I know its not an Ultra (mine is a 1999) but after getting off the Ultra and then taking my 65FL for a cruise, I always find myself thinking "this old girl rides pretty good" and she cruises right down the road at 65 very nicely and still has plenty left and really smooth, I had a 78 that vibrated a lot, turned out to be a broken top motormount bolt. I sure agree with the comments about loose spokes and I am a firm believer in servicing neck bearings and not having any slop. When I do mine I adjust the bearing preload to move free but without slop.
                    John Underwood
                    AMCA#14400
                    Central Illinois

Comment

Underdoggie has already said so, but vibrating footboards is a dead giveaway for a problem with the top motormount. Either the mount bracket is broken the bolt is broken or loose, or one of the bracket studs has pulled out of the heads. If not corrected, it will break one of the front motormount tabs on the cases. Although this may or may not be related to the handling issus, it-- and the lower mount bolts as well-- should be investigated!

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
                        Underdoggie has already said so, but vibrating footboards is a dead giveaway for a problem with the top motormount. Either the mount bracket is broken the bolt is broken or loose, or one of the bracket studs has pulled out of the heads. If not corrected, it will break one of the front motormount tabs on the cases. Although this may or may not be related to the handling issus, it-- and the lower mount bolts as well-- should be investigated!
                        I'll check the mounts, but last winter I had the tank off to re-wire and the mounts looked fine and I was having the problem then also, that's when I also replaced the swingarm bearings

Comment

well..just checked it again..motor mounts fine tight and no cracks etc.
                          frame down tube not cracked

lifted front end no front to back motion

side to side seems smooth no binding

tried to tighten head bolt couldn't budge it any tighter

although the handle bar bushings could stand to be replaced

spun wheel around pulled on spokes, nothing seemed loose

still getting that slight wobble in the tread, but I don't think that's enough to get the handling that I'm experiencing

spun rear wheel, seems tight there..no wobble

any thoughts..?

Comment

I don't know if anyone's mentioned the rear shocks---- have you had them off and taken them apart? They do need periodic maintenance-- cleaning and lubing. There are also shock bushings (rubber) that can get pretty worn out. (Basing my knowledge on the rear shocks of my '77FLH)

Comment

seems like we might have found the problem of vibration and instability...possibly when the motor was rebuilt 14k ago the flywheels were not balanced...guess I can figure 3k to rebuild it

Comment

Working...
                              X