59 pan master cyl.parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 pan master cyl.parts?

I have 2 master cyls ,ones off a 59 the other a 61, when I took them apart one has a rubber washer and round part with holes in it , the other is the same ,but doesn't have the rubber washer or the round part with the holes in it .In the photo the spring on the left go with the parts to the left of it .The spring on the right only has whats shown to the right of it.Also one spring is longer,probably weak..Does anyone have info regarding this?
    Neil
    Attached Files

Isn't that thing called a residual pressure valve? I think it is for drum brakes only.
    VPH-D

Comment

Isn't that thing called a residual pressure valve? I think it is for drum brakes only.
      VPH-D

Comment

So far so good ,I have drum brakes on my 59. Harley just shows this as a "valve" and shows it as one part ,not 3. Since both mastercylinders are the same I'm wondering how one came to have the 2 extra parts in it?
        Any info will be appreciated.
        Neil

Comment

They eliminated the extra parts in 1973, when they went to rear disc. Since the pads only had rotor run out to loosen their grip and not springs like the drum brake, they needed easier fluid return. If you leave the extra parts in for a disc brake app you can fry rotor and pads.
          Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Koanes wrote: "If you leave the extra parts in for a disc brake app you can fry rotor and pads."

Thanks Kyle! That seems like rather important safety information!

By the way, what's a "disc brake"?

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

The term "disc brake" is used to describe a modern braking system designed to keep the front wheel round. They became very common on motorcycles in the early seventies. Prior to that time, squeezing the front brake lever was only good for relieving the nervous tension you feel before the impact.
              Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

That is a classic Kyle.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

That's a fact

Yes how braking has improved over the years. I use to find it easier to just lay the bike down when I was a youngster to avoid the unavoidable when I was horsing around. Now there is no more horsing around at all and I enjoy the speedlimit and less on Drum brake bikes. Merlin in Pa.

Comment

That's a fact

Yes how braking has improved over the years. I use to find it easier to just lay the bike down when I was a youngster to avoid the unavoidable when I was horsing around. Now there is no more horsing around at all and I enjoy the speedlimit and less on my Heavy Drum brake bikes. Merlin in Pa.

Comment

Wow I'm glad I asked.

When I chop my Datsun, I'll be certain to update!

Next question: Why do all the repop brake cylinder rubber caps that retain the pucks rub the drum? (Especially after they swell from DOT 3 brake fluid.)

Is there a source for *quality* replacements?

Thanks in advance,

...Cotten
                      AMCA #776
                      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

just afoot note ..I got a mastercylinder rebuild kit from drag spcialties $13.95 Harley wanted $54.00 I'm in Canada ,aye. I put it together but the O-ring stoped the piston from returning ,I took the old O-ring off and It works now.I can't notice any difference in size ,but it has to be a zillionth of an inch different. Anyways If I have to start pumping the brakes I will be looking for another O-ring.

Comment

One more thing regarding Drag specialties master cylinder rebuild kit,Maybe the O-ring is right because after using the old O-ring I noticed leakage ,so I started checking stuff. The spring was noticably weaker than my old spring,so I put the ds. O-ring back on and the old but stiffer spring ,and now I have a good return..I also noticed that the brake pedal was not the same as one off another bike (I working from 2 baskets 59 & 61 FLH's) The hole for the clevis that the plunger screws into was about an inch and a half higher up on the pedal,making the plunger go in on an angle.I put the correct one on and have yet to bleed the brakes .
                          Should I put teflon tape on the brake line fitting?
                          Neil

Comment

Neil,
                            You don't need to put teflon tape on. The threaded sleeve is just a compression device, the actual seal is on the flare. If fluid is a the threaded portion the seal has already failed!
                            Robbie
                            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I got the kit for mine, oem at the car parts store. They just nered the casting # and the bore dia. If they know what they are doing.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X