Squish Pipe Differences for '65 Pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squish Pipe Differences for '65 Pan

Notice in my parts catalog that there are two part numbers for the one piece version of the PIPE Connector with fittings and the CONNECTION, rear exhaust pipe:

65538-65 CONNECTOR, rear exhaust pipe (dual exhaust) Late 65 to * -FL, FLH
    65539-65 CONNECTOR, rear exhaust pipe (single exhaust) Late 65 to * -FL, FLH

Anyone know the actual difference between one or the other? I had dual exhaust on my 65, but changed to single temporarily until I could find a second original extra quiet fishtail muffler. I only needed to change out the rear exhaust pipe and remove the crossover and left muffler. Everything fit. So I'm wondering what the difference is between single and dual for this part. Seems to me you still need the same spacing to connect to either the dual rear header or single rear header pipe? Wondering if it was just with hardware included or something??
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

I believe that you are refering to the later model exhaust which has the S pipe and Y pipe made together. The one for dual exhaust did not have the flange for the rear pipe as it was separate as in true duals and curved around and out over the outer primary on the other side.
    Carl
    http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Olsen View Post
      I believe that you are referring to the later model exhaust which has the S pipe and Y pipe made together. The one for dual exhaust did not have the flange for the rear pipe as it was separate as in true duals and curved around and out over the outer primary on the other side.
      Carl
      Well yes and no to your comments above. Yes I am speaking about the one piece version AKA "combined S and Y pipe" of late '65. Which mine has. And I am speaking about only that part. There is only one and it's on the right side of both single and dual exhaust versions. The only thing that changes between single and dual systems is the design of the rear exhaust (the one that connects to the rear cylinder exhaust port) it either has the connection for the left exhaust for dual or not for single.

What I am asking about is why there is a seperate part number (as I list above) for a combined S/Y pipe for dual and single when there is only one used and it would not (apparently) need to be designed any differently for single/dual systems since there is only one on the right side and the fit and fittings would still be the same. I can't answer this because the one piece although listed is not pictured in the part manual that I have.

My '65 has (had) dual exhaust (except for the conversion I made mentioned above). And had the rear exhaust with the connector for the pipe that crosses over and round the primary. It had no y pipe on the left side. Not true, separate dual. I have never seen a '65 pan with true , separate dual exhaust. To the best of my knowledge that configuration is not stock/factory for a early or late '65?

Again my part manual show two part numbers for the combined S/Y pipe one for single and one for dual. Neither is marked right or left, so this supports the view that it is for the same combined S/Y part that hangs on the right side? I have an NOS 65539-65 with the factory sticker on it. So even though this part (single piece S/Y is not shown in the diagram) I can assume that it is the part defined below. Confused that there is a separate number for dual in that the part should be exactly the same in my assumption and trying to figure out what the difference would be as the one I have is identical to the one on my bike that had the factory dual system.

65538-65 CONNECTOR, rear exhaust pipe (dual exhaust) Late 65 to * -FL, FLH
      65539-65 CONNECTOR, rear exhaust pipe (single exhaust) Late 65 to * -FL, FLH
      Last edited by rbenash; 06-08-2008, 08:31 AM.
      Ray
      AMCA #7140

Comment

Ray, the dual is longer. When the factory went to duals, it took more length to clear the primary cover on the left, so they made the right side the same length so the mufflers would end up the same length. Part # 65539-65 for single exhaust is 24 inches long. The 65538-65 dual approx 26 inches.

Comment

jorrow - thanks!! Exactly what I was looking for! Betting that the one on my bike is longer than I think :-)
          Last edited by rbenash; 06-09-2008, 08:13 AM.
          Ray
          AMCA #7140

Comment

I have a single but am needing a dual, if interested let me know....jeff

Comment

Great info guys. Now here's another question. What is the difference between the muffler support tubes? The parts manual lists a right side and a left side.

Thanks
              Dewey

Comment

Because the hangers are offset.

Comment

I cannot tell them apart. To me they appear as mirror images of each other. I have looked at stacks of the offset ones and cannot find the difference. Any answers here would be welcome. I believe any difference would have been an attempt to even up the mufflers so they would appear symetrical from the rear. I could be wrong. jeff

Comment

I looked at mine again. I see it! The one on the left side is spaced out a little bit, on the front two bolts that mount it to the frame. Probably to clear the chain guard.
                    Mike

Comment

I'll take a look at my hanger in the next few weeks. It's in storage since removal when I temporarily converted to single exhaust when I could only find one stock muffler. I removed the AMF's that were on the bike when I got it.

Having my '65 overhauled/restored so will be pulling out my original parts and NOS collection to bring things back to original during the process.

I do have the longer squish/Y for duals and an NOS for single. Guess I'll plate the original.
                      Ray
                      AMCA #7140

Comment

The True Duals were aftermarket.
                        Last edited by Chris Haynes; 10-19-2008, 07:48 PM.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Wow, I can't keep up tonight.

My two cents is that Chris is correct about the true duals being aftermarket and the left and right are offset slightly so that one clears the left side a bit more to ensure no intimate chain-muffler events occurred.

Jorrow is right on the duals. They are 26 1/2 inches for OEM.
                          George and Kyle Marakas
                          K & G Cycles

Comment

BTW based on Fields book regarding single exhaust a single muffler could be ordered in fishtail or the low tones.

Page 120:

"The standard muffler was the same style of black-painted, tubular muffler that had first been introduced in 1950 as Mellow-Tone chrome-plated muffler was optional, as was the "finned and extension" chrome fishtail muffler."

So this tells me that if Fields is correct that a single exhaust with a chrome fishtail could be considered correct 65240-61, but it would probably not be if that single fishtail was the extra quiet version 65242-62A. But then again, if I was ordering a single exhaust with fishtail I don't think the dealer would have prevented me from ordering it with a single extra quiet version?
                            Ray
                            AMCA #7140

Comment

Hi Ray,

I have fishtails in both extra-quiet and -61 versions. No difference in the judging whatsoever. If it was available and it could be delivered to you that way, it is OK as far as I know. At least that's how I approach my restores.

Later-
                              George and Kyle Marakas
                              K & G Cycles

Comment

Working...
                              X