No announcement yet.

Oley Judging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a ball end lever with a -59 part number aimed at use for racing. 41-64 had the flat blade levers, and the 'new' ball end levers started in 65. I was suprised to find the trademark 'R' on an old set of Dou-Glide name plates dating from the 70s. These plates also had the numbers and symbols on the back side.
    VPH-D

Comment

Just a quick tip that might help someone......With my limited experience in preparing bikes for the judging process I have learned that it is best to use a parts list specifically for the year being restored. Multiple year model parts lists seem to add to the confusion.
      Used a 28 - 32 parts list while restoring a 29 JD. Obtained a 1929 Parts List about half way thru the judging process. Made life lots easier.
      Johnny Whitsett
      AMCA # 8626

Comment

Thanks to all for the info. I thought blade levers was correct. Hey Longhorn I'm curios is the R at the top or bottom of the E?

Comment

The r is at the bottem of the E.

Comment

In addition to what others state above:

In the book Harley Davidson Panheads by Greg Field he states "Also new for 1965 were the hand-lever assemblies, with cast aluminum levers and mounts and ball ends on the levers."

All of the pictures of pans previous to the 1965 in this book show the blade type levers.

I have an original 1965 Electro Glide brochure that shows ball end levers.

I have an original August 1964 Enthusiast showing a 65 on the front with ball end levers.

BUT - in my original 1964 Rider Accessory Catalog on page 20 they have ball end levers as an accessory called "Safety Knob Hand Lever" 45017-62 so this confirms they were still available as an accessory in 1964 and the bike could have been bought with them installed at the dealer. It also says in the description "Install a set of safety knob hand levers for a better, safer grip. Meets A.M.A competition requirements for 3/4 in ball." That should make them legal for judging, correct? Of course on the cover of the catalog there's a '64 Pan that appears to have the stock blade levers.

Question would be whether the -62 part was made from something other than aluminum and the -65 was the new/standard for 1965 made out of aluminum.

Learning experience for me as well AFA what would be allowed on a restored bike. Getting my '65 done this year and am interested in how judging might go given all the complexities of the 65 year.
            Last edited by rbenash; 06-06-2008, 05:22 PM.
            Ray
            AMCA #7140

Comment

I have also come up with an accessory lever described as " meets AMA competition requirements for a 3\4 inch ball". The part # is 45014-59 and the picture shows a lever shaped with the curve of the early one and a ball tip.
              Brian
              Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

So to me it sounds like only cast aluminum ball end levers are correct only for 65 Pan (and later model shovels) and that any pans previous to '65 could or should pass judging if they have the earlier ball end accessory levers if they were available as accessory for their given model year? Looks like the earlier levers were not cast aluminum and may have had a different overall curve or shape? Curious how judges assess factory accessory items on restored or even non restored bikes.
                Ray
                AMCA #7140

Comment

Here is a factory photo of a 1964 showing the blade/balless levers.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

1965 and up were the factory levers. But they were avalible earlier as an accesory. I have a 1960 Assy catalog that shows them. Bob
                    AMCA #3149
                    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

65 was the first year for the 'new' style ball end levers and mounting brackets. The two earlier ball end levers were aimed at racers, and mounted to the -41 mounting brackets.
                      VPH-D

Comment

Working...
                      X