Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oley Judging

Hi,

Had my bike judged at Oley. ( 64FLH ) This is my first restoration and I still have a lot to learn. I can not say I totaly agree with all of the things I was told.

1. I was told that the clutch & brake levers on my handle bars were incorrect. I know the clutch is from a 65 and not sure about brake. The judge told me the correct levers should have a preety good curve to them with a large ball on the tip. When I look in my HD parts book the ones for my year do not have any ball on the tip. Can you tell me what would be the correct levers?

2. I was told the Duo Glide emblem on my front fender was incorrect. The judge told me that the correct emblem has the little R in a circle for trade mark at the top of the letter E in the word Duo Glide. My emblem had the R at the bottom of the letter E. I looked at an original 64 FLH at the judging and it also had the R at the bottom of the E. Which is correct.

I am not arguing the decision, I just want to educate myself.

Thank You

My -65 Parts Book shows the ball-end lever as a -65 part for the front brake. It does not list a lever for the clutch after '64,... so it seems likely that both had the ball-end after '64, not before.

'65 E-Glide fender emblems had NO copywrite or registration circle, so I am very surprised if Duo's did,.. anywhere.

Although I learn something new daily, let us beware of 'revisionism'.

...Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

oley judging

if someone could copy the pages from a 64 HD parts book showing what is correct and send it to me, I will review the judging sheet and make corrections as needed
      Kevin Valentine
      Kevin Valentine 13
      EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Kevin you most have been one of six people that got judged. The field was pretty lame. The 65 was the first year of the ball on the end of the lever. I went though this with my 65 XLCH. I could be wrong but do not remember the ball earlier than 65. This is not the first time I’ve heard about the copy write mark. I don’t own a 65 but my good friend does and it is as such the day he bought it from the NYC police dept. I will inquire for you. As for the parts book. Harley used the same drawings for sixty years. Never go by them. Magazine advertisements are a correct as you can get. The Big Harley book is loaded with them. Bob

“Any man that forsakes freedom for security deserves neither.”
        1 800 NRA JOIN
        Last edited by Robert Luland; 05-08-2008, 07:34 PM. Reason: More info
        AMCA #3149
        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

duo-glide emblem

I am holding a nos emblem and it has the the small r in a circle at the end of the E.On the back side of the emblem is the part# or casting #,59195-58 and the letter H with a small d on top of the H and a small letter c at the bottom of the H.

Comment

I have a factory 1962 Accessory Catalogue that shows the curved ball end levers....SAFETY KNOB HAND LEVER 45017-62....for the low low price of $3.95. My parts book shows the straight ball end levers with a 65 part number so they probably were a stock item for 65. Having said that I'm sure you could have gotten the tipless ones for quite some time after from a dealership if you so desired.

Comment

The problem is at times, Harley used the exact same part number even if there was a design change. So if you have a part like an inner sleeve for example for a stepped hub #2963-35, that sleeve will not work in a later interchangeable hub even though they had the same part number. This is the same with quite a few 45 military parts.....you need to know them by Type and also know what the change was, what the change looked like, what specific year the change took place and the models it affected......frustrating at times.....

Kurt

Comment

As for brake levers, my 61-74 book shows complete lever 45002-41 for 41-64 ( blade type shown) the lever itself is obsolete in this book and has no number. It shows lever only 45024-65A for 65-71 ( ball type shown). the complete lever is listed as 45002-65A for 68-early 69, most likely because this one was drilled and tapped for a brake light switch. It also shows a 45002-69 for late 69-72. This would most likely be the one with the hole for a mirror stem. Would be happy to provide copies if needed.
                Brian
                Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Oley Judging

Okay, is looks like the blade type(no ball end) is the correct levers, as for the little R in a circle WHO CARES!! top or bottom. next time you get it judged find me to check this
                  Kevin
                  Kevin Valentine 13
                  EX-Chief Judge

Comment

1965 Levers

I have four 65 Pans - three restores and one original. All have the ball end levers. The 1965 accessory book is the first to show the ball ends as the 64 book shows the blade levers. The pictures of 64s in Palmer's and Fields' books also show blade levers.

I think the correct lever up to 64 is blade and from 65 is ball end.

Hope this helps.
                    George and Kyle Marakas
                    K & G Cycles

Comment

As I said earlier I have a 1962 Accessory Catalogue that shows ball end levers being available then. I started looking through some old Enthusiasts I have and found in the Sept. 59 issue a picture of a pair of K model race bikes with ball end levers. This issue also has a picture of a 58 FL that is completely chrome....and I mean completely, that was ordered from an HD dealer in Clifton N.J. for a buyer in Venezuela at a cost of $3500. So you could easily have had tipped or tipless levers put on in 65, from your local dealership if you so desired.

Comment

Kevin, Went and dug deep into the urban modular furniture (Short for milk crate) and just as Longhorn said. My DOU-GLIDE has an R at the end of the emblem at the bottom of the E on the right hand side. The levers I was right on. 65 was the first year. Bob
                        AMCA #3149
                        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

I'm pretty sure the curved ball end levers were for the race bikes as a safety feature so you didn't get stabbed with your lever in a crash. That explains why they were available to the regular public in the accessory catalog. however, a stock 1964 Harley should have the curved levers with a point on the end of them. In 1965 the straight levers came out with the small ball end on them.

Comment

i agree

'So you could easily have had tipped or tipless levers put on in 65, from your local dealership if you so desired.'

Comment

The curved blade lever was the factory standard up until 1965, when it was replaced by straight ball end safety levers. However the factory accessory manuals offered in advance a curved ball end "safety" lever for duoglides for a modest fee...beginning somewhere in early 60's. Every FACTORY duoglide emblem I have seen has had the "r" at the end EXCEPT for my friends bone stock 1958. (with 8,000 original miles).... ( I love first year bikes) jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X