No announcement yet.

Duo Glide Outlook Lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The -55A number is for the '69 - early '73 type taillight. The A,B suffix numbers are used to show modification to original part. A suffix number was supposedly only used if the part was still usable for it's original purpose. However, there are [were] many parts sold using suffix numbers that were of no use for the original purpose.

Now, if the part was changed so much as to be useless for the original use, a different model year suffix was applied. For example, -52 versus -79 ratchet lid parts

The year suffix on factory part numbers denoted the model year for which the change was approved to be used. An example would be FL foot shift parts, approved for the '52 model year. Yet,
    many fans believe very late' 51s came with foot shift.

A common mistake is to fall victim to the strict, absolute model year changes. If the assembly line had 18 -55 taillamps on hand in August of '68, you better believe the first 18 1969 models produced had those lamps on them. Personally, I believe this type of stuff was more common in the 50s, as production dropped every year. VPH-D

Comment

Red Plastic, Not Tint, Duh!

Indeed it is vacuum sealed with red plastic and comes off. It is so well sealed it looked like tint to me. At first, I didn't want to scrape or scratch it. These things ain't cheap, you know! The edge imprint says 5933147 IGC with the 68093-55A number on the box. Frankly, this is an "extra" I picked up on a whim. Somewhere I got the notion about plastic lens versus glass and saw this one before I actually made sure that my old one on the bike is actually incorrect. When I bought the Duo some years ago, I seem to remember the seller pointing out that the lens wasn't right. I verified and corrected the stop light lens with a correct one a while back. "One of these days" I'll check the outlook too. Got too much stuff...this week is gages to a 1500cc Nash Metro motor (Austin)....the world's greasiest car and motor! Thanks to all who took the time to post pictures and advice. You guys are great!

Comment

Working...
      X