1965 FL frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 FL frame

I was looking on the internet this morning and a guy is selling a frame for a 1965 FL. He states that the 1965 FL models had a 1 year only frame. Does anyone know if this a true statement and if it is what is the difference between 65 and 66 frames? The 65 FL I am restoring has a C5 stamped on the frame on the top engine mount at the frame.
    Thanks
    Pete:::::::::::::;;;;;;;;;

Pete
    I have a 66 and back when I was looking for a frame for it I don't recall there being any differences.
    Your date code puts your frame at March of 1965 production which may work for you.
    I'm curious how that compares to your Motor number. I tried to determine when in the production sequence things switched over.
    For instance could an early production 66 have a H-5 or I-5 dated frame stamp?
    Also does your frame have the left rear frame reinforcement bracket added?
    I know a lot pre 68 frames had this feature added at some point but I've seen quite a few without it.
    Look forward to others take on this question.

Comment

Thanks Sswaney
      I was told the gusset was a factory recall then upgrade for the 1966 MY as the shovel made more HP and torque than a panhead. I have a 66 FLH as well but have never looked at that number on the engine mount. It is quite original so next time I have the tanks off I'll be taking a look. My friend said that you can put a pan in a shovel frame but a shovel won't fit in a pan frame, the center post had to be dented in for a shovel to fit so, I almost wonder if HD made the center tube slightly longer in 1966 making the 65 a 1 year frame for the pan with electric start primary??
      Pete::::::;;;;;;;;;;;

Comment

Items manufactured in the latter part of the year would be used the following year including frames. I had 2 69 Sportsters with 68 stamps. One was H 8 and the other I 8. Both had very low engine numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Engelman View Post
          Thanks Sswaney
          My friend said that you can put a pan in a shovel frame but a shovel won't fit in a pan frame, the center post had to be dented in for a shovel to fit so, I almost wonder if HD made the center tube slightly longer in 1966 making the 65 a 1 year frame for the pan with electric start primary??
          Pete::::::;;;;;;;;;;;
          Pete I've never had a problem putting a Shovel engine in a Pan frame although sometimes the head does come real close to the seatpost but I think this is more related to perhaps the frame sagging a little in the middle.

Jerry

Comment

Pete,

I've also never had a issue putting Shovelhead's in a Panhead frame as Jerry mentioned.
            However when you install a Panhead into a shovelhead frame, the rear cylinder head casting and D-ring hit on the seat center post. I've seen this many times...

To the best of my knowledge the center post would be different on a 65' verse a 66'

Hope this helps,
            Duke Kleman

Comment

Working...
            X