Offset Springer - Fork Spring Rod Bushing Retainer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offset Springer - Fork Spring Rod Bushing Retainer

Working with offset springer forks on a 48 FL. Looking for guidance on how the spring rod ball bushing retainer plate fits. With the top springs NOT installed, does the retainer plate sit all the way down on top of the bushings? Or, does it sit above the bushings (with approx. 1/16" clearance above the bushings)? When the top springs are installed the retainer plate is compressed on top of the bushings so they cannot move.

I am curious if the retainer plate I have is not accurate since there is about 1/16"+ clearance above the bushings, before the top springs are installed. Notice in the picture the retainer plate is not sitting down on the fork allowing the bushings to move.

springer bushing retainer.jpg

OEM or aftermarket part?
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Its aftermarket, I had to buy it since it was missing when I bought the bike in 2014. I assembled a 47FL in 2020 and do not recall the retainer fitting like this one. I do not like the fit after the top springs are installed, picture attached. This cannot be correct, notice how its not flat and applying equal pressure to the bushings.

springer with top springs.jpg

Comment

Curious as to where you found a reference for the nut/bolt the holds the retainer plate to the fork assembly? I don't see anything in the parts manual.

shock absorber group.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by gitguy View Post
          Curious as to where you found a reference for the nut/bolt the holds the retainer plate to the fork assembly? I don't see anything in the parts manual.

shock absorber group.jpg
          The bolt is shown in the horn mounting parts listings.
          https://www.hydra-glide.net/kb/parts.../41-54_163.php
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by jgbrown59 View Post
            Its aftermarket, I had to buy it since it was missing when I bought the bike in 2014. I assembled a 47FL in 2020 and do not recall the retainer fitting like this one. I do not like the fit after the top springs are installed, picture attached. This cannot be correct, notice how its not flat and applying equal pressure to the bushings.

springer with top springs.jpg
            Not sure why you say you "had to buy it" when OEM types show up regularly on eBay and other sources. Did you reach out to the antique community?
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

While I was working on restoring a 47FL a couple years ago I was buying parts for this bike and the 47 at the same time. I acquired the retainers for these bikes from different sources. The retainer for the 47 was OEM and I did not have this problem. I do not recall where this aftermarket retainer came from, but it appears to be too tall, sitting close to 1/8" above the bushings with no springs installed.

After dealing with this I will find an original retainer since the vast majority of the parts on this 48 are OEM. I am very anal about accuracy and doing things right so this is just another lesson on the use of repop parts. I have located a couple OEM retainers so working through the process.

Based on the pictures do you believe this retainer should not be used? I am not comfortable with the way it fits so looking for experienced opinions.

I am at the stage of fitting the sheet metal prior to paint so I am not in any hurry.

Comment

I would not run it, the ball joints can possibly run out of alignment and cause wear and binding on the spring rods, the springs sit off center and can distort, etc, etc.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation and guidance. I agree with all of your points. Now the fun of taking it apart and having to put it together again!

If anyone has an extra OEM retainer I would be interested in talking.

Comment

horn parts.jpg
                    Originally posted by Rubone View Post

The bolt is shown in the horn mounting parts listings.
                    https://www.hydra-glide.net/kb/parts.../41-54_163.php
                    I still don't see which bolt it is in this pic. Can you point out the part number please?

Comment

4000, the same one used on the earlier horn mount.
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Something I noticed when doing a 1940 ULH
                        Cross reference shows 4000 = 066
                        1954 parts book 4000 is 5/16' 24 x 1"
                        1940 parts book 066 is 5/16" 24 x 7/8"
                        1946 book 066 is 1"

img354.jpg
                        img353.jpg
                        img355.jpg
                        Last edited by duffeycycles; 12-02-2023, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                          4000, the same one used on the earlier horn mount.
                          From what I can tell this bolt part #4000, for the upper horn bracket was used for inline spring forks through 1946 not offset after that. The horn bolts directly to the headlamp & horn bracket part 67810-36 after 1936. But I am often wrong!

Screenshot 2023-12-03 083628.jpg

Comment

Robbie's right,look at the headlamp page, 1954 BT parts book
                            looks like it comes from top down

img359.jpg

Comment

The '46 and earlier upper horn mount attaches in the same hole as the later ball joint retainer, the later horn/headlight bracket attaches to the handlebars, not fork.
                              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                              X