No announcement yet.

Fat tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Elite are narrower than other late style Dunlop & they are USA made!

Comment

While changing the unbalanceable Coker Goodyear replica wide white walls on my Pan to Dunlop 402 thin white walls this past June, I found the 402 to be about .100 (1/8") thinner than the Cokers. Still had to deflate. Boy, it sure is nice to have a balanced tire and enjoy cornering once again. I believe the 402's are USA also.
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Eric,
        For reference I get an 16" inflated Dunlop 402 and Avon MKII measuring the same at 5 1/8".
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
          That tire is probably not that old ,but I wouldnt run it with that sidewall cracking.
          Cokers suck for that reason ,and others.Tom
          You got me thinking, Tom, so I bought new tires, thanks. There's cheap, and there's stupid, and in this case, safe. I also dug out my (dirt cheap) bead breaking tool, and what a back saver.

tire mac2.jpg
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

What's next, Eric,....

Spoons?

spoons.jpg

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

That's the routine, Tom. I did learn not to get greedy and try to peel off too much tire at a time. I always have to re-learn this stuff because (fortunately) I don't don't mess with tires that often. However, I now recollect that this is the 3rd year in a row that I've put tires on a motorcycle.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

I mounted a set of Coker Firestone tires today. They varied from one tire to the other in Width and also in different areas on each tire when I measured.
                5.258" - 5.275" @ 30 PSI was a common range .
                Dated coded 2022 year... IMG_20230809_072736656.jpg

Comment

I run the Avon MKII on all my personal antique motorcycles and had very satisfying results.

Comment

Spoons are a last resort, Eric!

My tire machine clamps upon the rim, and an "oar lock" axles into the hub, so a big bar with a toe on it (like a Coats) can just skin the tire off in one move. (Note bead breaker down on the left, with a real spoon in it..)

TIREMACH.jpg

On the road, I carried a "Breezer":
                    BREEZER.JPG
                    (Lost my original, but I was gifted this one at Davenport.)

Want to talk jacks?

...Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

I recall having a "Breeezer" (didn't know they were called that). I also remember it worked very well. Since I have always tried to minimize my tire changing experiences, I haven't had a Breeezer since I lost the one I had. I always have to psych myself up for that miserable task. Also, I've had to mount quite a few clincher tires and they are a hand operation due to painted rims, and a tire that envelopes the tube. I knew you would have an efficient, professional tire changing machine and I'm sure that takes the misery out of being on your hands ,and knees sweating all over a tire, and rim. Once a year is more than enough for me, for tire work.
                      Last edited by exeric; 08-10-2023, 06:04 PM.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Wow, Eric!

I never noticed the third e. I should be ashamed.

Its every bit as efficient as my 'professional' tire machine (conjured entirely from scrap; That's a boat steering wheel), yet a Breeezer fits in your saddlebag.

But jacks don't, and most of us don't have a center stand. One of my buddies flipped his right footpeg around, and laid the machine over on it, so the rear was off the ground enough to slide the wheel out.

Had to be there.

....Cotten
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-10-2023, 09:23 PM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Not wanting to change the theme from fat tire to tire machines, but since they've been brought up. Has anyone every changed a car unit, like the one DSC06912.JPG I have, to a Harley hub tire changer? Thanks.
                          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Its all about holding the wheel solid, Duffey!

The conical shaft on your machine must have kept auto rims from spinning under the force of the spoon tool; That would be pretty cruel to spokes.

I also must assume a very large 'spoon' fulcrumed against the center casting, which is far too large to accept most motorcycle hubs.

Hope I'm wrong...

...Cotten
                            PS: In my pic above, you can see a selection of axles for different hubs hanging on the pegboard behind the machine; The fat one on the left fit my Toyotas. All of them threaded into the blue four-post fulcrum, shown with a star-hub axle. The four posts were spent big twin countershafts.

(My Coats spoon is red on right, aside the dark blue one of my own nylon design.)
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-11-2023, 04:42 PM.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

On my 45, the Coker sourced Firestone Champion is hard to get off even deflated. The Coker sourced Firestone ANS comes off easily. You can see the difference in overall width. I did the Chase last year running the Champions, I practiced at home to make sure I could get the rear wheel off deflated, without having to take the brake assembly off with it. It was a struggle but it works. I have a bobbed rear fender so that is out of the way, when I practiced I utilized the rear stand and not my lift. Snug fit but possible. Lots of chain lube on the side wall from being on the road helps!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                                .... One of my buddies flipped his right footpeg around, and laid the machine over on it, so the rear was off the ground enough to slide the wheel out.

Had to be there....
                                The buddy I've known since high-school, Folks,...

Walked in out of the blue today with a charity project; As I made him suffer through it himself, I tried to remind him of the footpeg trick, and tell him of spreading his genius upon the interwebs.

He had no clue what I was talking about.

....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                                X