No announcement yet.

A new problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know how to replace it. This installation surprised me.

Comment

Freeman

The first picture looks like an after-the-fact fix. Originally there was no seal in the engine, just an oil slinger. Someone put in an oring and then glued a seal. Kits have been available in the aftermarket for years. The right most nick circled I would not worry about but the other nick in the original slinger might be an issue. Behind the oring should be a snapring holding it in. That needs to come out and then in theory the slinger can come out. Admittedly this is easier done with the engine dismantled.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
        Freeman

The first picture looks like an after-the-fact fix. Originally there was no seal in the engine, just an oil slinger. Someone put in an oring and then glued a seal. Kits have been available in the aftermarket for years. The right most nick circled I would not worry about but the other nick in the original slinger might be an issue. Behind the oring should be a snapring holding it in. That needs to come out and then in theory the slinger can come out. Admittedly this is easier done with the engine dismantled.

Jerry
        Thanks very much! Do you have any specific information about the kit? I would like to replace it

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

What kit do I need to buy to replace it? I don't have the information and I don't know what to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Freeman View Post
              What kit do I need to buy to replace it? I don't have the information and I don't know what to buy.
              My guess, Freeman,..

Somebody tried to use a roller bearing for the sprocket spacer, and then thought the O-ring and 'goober' would seal against oil, probably for a belt-drive.

If a belt-drive is installed, the shouldered thrust washer pressed into the main bearing housing must be replaced with a modern hybrid with a seal.

If you have a chain-drive, you only need the proper sprocket spacer.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

My guess, Freeman,..

Somebody tried to use a roller bearing for the sprocket spacer, and then thought the O-ring and 'goober' would seal against oil, probably for a belt-drive.

If a belt-drive is installed, the shouldered thrust washer pressed into the main bearing housing must be replaced with a modern hybrid with a seal.

If you have a chain-drive, you only need the proper sprocket spacer.

....Cotten
                The guess is absolutely correct. Modern I don't know what to buy, can you recommend it to me。Thanks a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Freeman View Post

The guess is absolutely correct. Modern I don't know what to buy, can you recommend it to me。Thanks a lot.
                  We need more information, Freeman!

I must ask again: Is there a chain primary drive provided, or is it an after-market belt-drive assembly?

The original chain drive is easiest, by far.

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

We need more information, Freeman!

I must ask again: Is there a chain primary drive provided, or is it an after-market belt-drive assembly?

The original chain drive is easiest, by far.

....Cotten
                    an after-market belt-drive assembly

Comment

48983CFC-307D-4100-B5A7-059278FD75F0.jpeg48983CFC-307D-4100-B5A7-059278FD75F0.jpeg

Comment

I know little about belt-drives, Freeman,..

So others will give better guidance than I, but please search Colony Sprocket Shaft Seal with Snap Ring #7411-2 Fits 36-54 HD Big Twin

....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

Freeman

The kit would probably come from Tedd's V twin but I think you need a dealership to order from them. J&P and numerous other vendors sell their stuff on the internet. Just look for pre 1955 HD sprocket shaft seal kit.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                          X