Check Valve...Oil Leak question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check Valve...Oil Leak question

I am new to this forum and have been learning quite a bit about panheads/ old shovels but this item is a bit puzzling. The bike is a total stock vintage 1966 shovelhead police bike. It had been sitting in a basement for 25 years. I slowly brought it back to life with many mechanical repairs but did not open up the motor or trany. The issue: When the bike is sitting idle on the stand I get an excessive amount of oil dripping from the primary cover. I pulled the check spring and ball. I re-lapped the ball seat and reinstalled. It made no difference in the leak. The leak is a drip every 4 seconds then slows once things are cooled but continues and does not stop. The spring and check ball seem fine. Could the relief valve be causing any of this?

Welcome PanamaInc!

Since the primary is supposed to be sealed, sumping past the ball check should be a mute issue.

You must clean and inspect everywhere carefully to determine where so much could exit. A flashlight and mirror help a little.

Let's hope its just a fossilized oil line (and one you can replace easily,)

....Cotten
    PS: Do you have the 3.5 gal tanks with the petcock on the right? I'll never forget those... ...
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-07-2021, 03:09 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Could also be breather out of time??

Comment

Originally posted by Ka3acmah View Post
        Could also be breather out of time??
        Could be, Ka3acmah!

But it should puke out the breather tube behind the pump, not the primary.

A steady drip while running suggests a loose hose to the primary chain oiler.

They are always fun.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Guys...I have been away. I am going to put this up on the lift and do the complete once over and check everything as this is not right at all. I will post what I find once this issue is solved.

Comment

Working...
          X