Turn Signal Canceling - Any options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn Signal Canceling - Any options

Now that I have a modern bike (1964) which has turn signals, I'm finding they can be as much a curse as they are a help. I've already caught myself forgetting to turn them off which is dangerous. The indicators are working but they don't show up well enough in daylight to attract attention. Wondering if anyone has a solution to automatically cancel them like maybe a switch that spring returns to center? Or?
    Never had a problem shutting off the hand signals. Urgh, technology.
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Don't know if this is even possible for your application, but, how about a different (more intense) bulb for the indicator? Maybe an LED would be a little brighter and catch your attention a better. Hope this helps......Smitty

Comment

The last owner of my 1965 had an annoying buzzer wired to the turn signals. I removed the buzzer and try to look at my indicator lights behind the headlight every time I finish a turn.
      Craig (Delaware)
      Delaware Bay Chapter
      Perkiomen Chapter
      AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Originally posted by craig (DE) View Post
        The last owner of my 1965 had an annoying buzzer wired to the turn signals. I removed the buzzer and try to look at my indicator lights behind the headlight every time I finish a turn.
        But bells 'n whistles are kewl, Craig!

(Now that I'm close to deaf...)

So how exactly were the nacelle indicator lights originally displayed and installed on a '65 anyway?

....Cotten
        PS: This is a trick question of the worst kind...
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

A momentary version of the OEM switch would solve your problem, they would stop blinking when you let go. IDK if anything like that is available. You may have to fabricate a mount for a marine on-off-on rocker switch.
          AMCA #41287
          1971 Sprint SS350 project
          1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
          1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
          1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
          96" Evo Softail self built chopper
          2012 103" Road King "per diem"
          plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

But bells 'n whistles are kewl, Craig!

(Now that I'm close to deaf...)

So how exactly were the nacelle indicator lights originally displayed and installed on a '65 anyway?

....Cotten
            PS: This is a trick question of the worst kind...
            Cotten, yes bells and whistles can be kewl but this buzzer made you think you were driving a Toyota or some other import.

I'll let the experts answer your question about the indicator lights.
            Craig (Delaware)
            Delaware Bay Chapter
            Perkiomen Chapter
            AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Since you put it like that, Tom, I'm thinking there were no factory indicators? I really have NO idea......I'm just trying to help the OP...........Smitty

Comment

On my 1970 the indicators are on the dash under the speedo by the neutral light. Easy enough to see, if you remember to look. I find myself using hand signals because I know there is a good chance I will forget to turn them off. But once you get used to it, you can feel the position of the switch and you can tell by feel without looking down.

Still, many a time my friends will pull up next to me to tell me the blinker is on.

Comment

Originally posted by Architect View Post
                  ... many a time my friends will pull up next to me to tell me the blinker is on.
                  When riding in a pack, Folks,...

Our Road Captain would alert us with a quacking-duck signal by hand. (Patting his head meant somebody didn't have their headlight on.)

Meanwhile,.. We all know '65s were special. Without MOCO documentation, the judges can't judge, can they?

No two '65s seem the same anymore, or ever did!

....Cotten
                  PS: So the -60 red and green lenses aren't 'purposed' in the parts book, although after '66 red was for high-beam, just as I found in the left nacelle (1) on my Police Special. The green on the right (1) was the flasher, plus its can was held to the terminal board with a zip-tie. And that was in '76.

That's my narrative, and I'm sticking to it.
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-14-2021, 02:15 PM.
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Jason, J&P sells some electronic gizmos that make your turn signals self-cancelling, listed for 1970 and up so I'm not certain if they could be made to work (...because I don't know squat about Harley Davidsons )

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/381...off-module-iii
                    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I'm sure it could be made to work, Harry,....

But pretty hard to hide!

....Cotten
                      PS: Did the MOCO ever put a toggle-switch on a production machine, Folks?
                      I thought I would find one for radios at least..
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                        Jason, J&P sells some electronic gizmos that make your turn signals self-cancelling, listed for 1970 and up so I'm not certain if they could be made to work (...because I don't know squat about Harley Davidsons )

I think this is for 70's and up bikes that had the momentary hold down switches built into the hand controls. I don't think it would work with the stock position switch, which is similar to the high/low beam switch. But maybe it could be made to work. Still a good find.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post

Thanks Harry and all others for responses. That unit could be hidden inside the nacelle no problem but I am guessing its for 12 volt systems. 64 is last year for 6 volt and you know I'm a stubborn 6 volt holdout. Thinking maybe I'll find and retrofit a momentary switch.
                          Jason Zerbini
                          Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                          Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Skirted View Post
                            ...That unit could be hidden inside the nacelle no problem ....
                            Don't look now Skirted,...

But there's a whole lot less room than you think; I tried to install a spot lamp relay (I was running eleven forward lamps with my hack) so I could still access it from the front on my '65.

It was smaller, and a LOT less spaghetti to go with it, but still wasn't worth it: It could only be practicably secured and serviced by removing the entire nacelle (windshield, spots, turnsignals, etc., etc.)

I hate wiring almost as much as paint.

....Cotten
                            AMCA #776

Comment

I wired my turn indicator switch & lights with these idiot lights (one on each side). Used the later 68 wiring diagram because I also added a circuit breaker and starter relay as well. That said I still use hand signals.

Comment

Working...
                              X