1961 FLH Police - need parts advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 FLH Police - need parts advice

I have just bought a 1961 FLH - purportedly a Police Special - a lot of it seems to be there bits of it not so much.. I'm not aiming at perfection at the moment - just to get it something like and run it for a while.

I'm struggling to find a definitive spec sheet / parts catalog for it so need some advice and sources of information on that.

The speedo is a reproduction one and I am wanting to source a correct one for that year. I understand that the 61 was 2:1 ratio and that it would not have had the Police Special dials that the later ones had?

Also interested to know if it should have an external oil filter - none fitted at the moment - l will be replacing the braided steel lines it came with..

Would the Police Special have had a steering damper fitted? This one doesn't and the hole in the handlebar cover blanked off.

The electrics have been converted to 12v which I am ok with but the regulator is solid state and out of keeping with the rest of the bike - would a mechanical 12 v Delco Remy be a reasonable work around?

I'll post some pictures when I have some and have worked out how to get them on here....

Thanks in advance

Richard]\

The original HD parts book covers 1958-68, and has fairly decent blow apart illustrations of much of the hardware. The HD Service Manual for Electra Glide covers 1959-69. Both are readily available to purchase online. There's also a Clymer manual that is pretty decent, and the definitive resource is "How to Restore Your Harley Davidson" by Bruce Palmer. Hope that helps.
    Ride it like you can fix it!

Comment

H-D published a parts book in 1961. They appear one eBay fairly regularly. It could have had one of two type oil filters, an internal in the oil tank if using a radio model oil tank, or an external add on if equipped with certain packages. The speedometer was like a regular '61 except it had special calibration and a red marking at 65MPH. Steering dampers were standard on sidecar bikes, optional on solo machines. The large regulator would look at least "similar" to the large 6V. Regretfully I cannot scan any info for you at the moment as the windows update killed my scanner....
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by JSB55 View Post
        ...There's also a Clymer manual that is pretty decent...
        Seems unlikely, but I'll take your word for it!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far.

I have done a little more research online and found a bit more information on the speedometers

In an old post by ACMA member in 2018 Dave Henessey re Police 1961 Speedometers

1961 and earlier
                ----------------
                1) The connection on the back of the speedo was a female "hole".

2) The speedo read 60 mph when the cable turned at 2000 rpm. Also known as a 2:1 ratio speedometer.

Police speedos during this period looked almost the same - no visible "Police" markings, but there were 3 differences:

a) Police units had 1 mph markings on the lower face, and there was a 65 mph marking. Civilian units had 2mph markings, and no 65 mph marking.

b)Police units had the needle squeezed to a tighter point than civilian units.

c) Police units were calibrated to read between 56 to 59 mph when the cable was turning 2000 rpm. Civilian units were calibrated to read between 62 to 65 mph.
                1961 and earlier
                ----------------
                1) The connection on the back of the speedo was a female "hole".

2) The speedo read 60 mph when the cable turned at 2000 rpm. Also known as a 2:1 ratio speedometer.

Police speedos during this period looked almost the same - no visible "Police" markings, but there were 3 differences:

a) Police units had 1 mph markings on the lower face, and there was a 65 mph marking. Civilian units had 2mph markings, and no 65 mph marking.

b)Police units had the needle squeezed to a tighter point than civilian units.

c) Police units were calibrated to read between 56 to 59 mph when the cable was turning 2000 rpm. Civilian units were calibrated to read between 62 to 65 mph.

Comment

Originally posted by 1950Panhead View Post
                  So what year is this - the bones of it are pretty similar to the one I have except mine has more oil under it! is black, and has a hand shifter.

Comment

Nice Duo-Glide. However I see nothing there that indicates it may have been a police unit. Why do you think it was other than someone's comment to perhaps boost a sale along?
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by droptopford View Post

Seems unlikely, but I'll take your word for it!
                      Fine for service and light repairs, and sometimes more clear and detailed than the HD manual. Not a resto reference.
                      Ride it like you can fix it!

Comment

Richard, welcome to the forum. Here’s a 61 prototype although not a police model. However some info below does relate to police equipment groups.

Service Bulletin 439 may also be of interest.
                        Eric

Comment

Thanks for the 1961 model information - that makes interesting reading..

Comment

As far as the steering dampener goes, its my understanding that only 1958 Duo Glides had one. L.A. county sheriffs found the new swingarm bike developed a high speed wobble and wanted their 58s switched to rigid frames. HD came to the conclusion that any tension on the dampener caused a wobble and instructed owners not to use them. By 1959 they were gone except on sidecar equipped models.

Comment

Looking at the info provided by Speeding Big Twin the correct speedo for my bike it is a Police Special would be 67007-60 as my engine number is greater than 61FL5455 - whether or not the bike has the original transmission is another issue _ will try and check that out this weekend..... anyway this is a bit more confusing than I had thought as the bike is in a crossover year for speedos

Does anyone have a picture of the speedo 67007-60 (509-FH imprinted on the back of the speedo) or any other information particularly relating to drive ratio and the face on the clocks?

Thanks in advance

Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X