Factory replacement case questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory replacement case questions

I got a motor here im looking to buy. The numbers and documentation look good to me only thing that through me off was the belly numbers. The bike is a 55FLH and the belly numbers are 60 4770. He told me they are factory replacement cases. And an old timer that's been doing this for a long time had told me that they did this. If you blew up your bike back then they would get new cases from the factory and stamp your vin number back on so in this case he says the motor blew in 1960 and they issued these. It is registered as a harley with the same numbers also. I posted pics for reference so from what he told me he blew the bike up in 1960 and got the cases replaced. With the original vin stamped in it. What do you guys think?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead_Bobber_11C; 05-14-2021, 06:19 PM.

Factory replacement cases were indeed available. But the factory did not stamp them, dealers did, so the numbers never match the correct font, the cases never match the correct version, etc. So despite it being legal, it is never as it was originally so can never be restored/judged/correct for the year model.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

How is your other bike progressing?
      Eric

https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...-not-lining-up

Comment

The 1960 right case is different, some of the original 1955 parts won't work..
        The 1960 uses a different pinion shaft and gears, a larger pinion bearing, and a needle cam bearing.
        The Linkert Book

Comment

Is anything stamped on top of the cases near the rear engine mounting bolts? And if so, is it mentioned on the original documentation? Thanks.
          Eric

Comment

On top of the cases at the rear.
            Eric

Comment

Working...
            X