No announcement yet.

'57 Pan - Need Help - Many Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dug out the '57 tanks from the boxes of parts I got with the bike. The color is close to the front fender and I was hoping they were original paint, but upon closer examination, there's a big dent on the bottom of one of the tanks. It was filled with bondo and painted over. I just can't tell if the paint job was a "patch" or if the whole tank was repainted. I was able to remove the left side cap and it was pretty clean inside, compared to the '56 tanks on the bike now. I can't get the left side cap off, so I sprayed some Liquid Wrench into it.

In general, the paint looks old and is cracking / flaking in many spots. If it's not original paint, I'd like to repaint them.

Oh.... some idiot cut off the lower front mounting tabs on both tanks. How would I go about repairing that? Reproduce the missing part or the whole thing?

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg
    Last edited by willphelps52; 02-17-2020, 12:18 PM.

Comment

As mentioned earlier in this discussion original paint is quite thin. I've never seem original paint crack like shown in your pictures. The cracking probably indicates an old repaint with the paint heavily applied (perhaps lacquer).

V-Twin sells replacement tabs for tank repair. However I don't know anything about the quality of the parts.

Steve Slaminko

Comment

Those lower tank brackets commonly break, likely why the tanks were swapped. Tabs are available or can be easily fabricated . I doubt "some idiot" had anything to do with it.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
          Those lower tank brackets commonly break, likely why the tanks were swapped. Tabs are available or can be easily fabricated . I doubt "some idiot" had anything to do with it.
          Previous owner said someone cut them off. I'm just repeating what I heard, but maybe you're right. Even if the goal was a chopper, why cut them off? Just unbolt them.

Comment

I have another question. My bike has a "Superior Chain Guard" on it. Before I start the task of removing the back wheel for new tires and to take off the rear fender, I'd like to get a little more information about these things. Does anyone have any instructions on it? Or does anyone else have experience with one? How it goes on, or comes off.

From the picture, it looks like the rear wheel needs to come off to install / uninstall it. Thanks.

rearchainguard001.jpg

57_LeftSide.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X