'57 Pan - Need Help - Many Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '57 Pan - Need Help - Many Questions.

I'm sorry if this is long, but here goes.

After many years of negotiations with my wife's brother-in-law (sister's husband), I finally was able to buy his '57 FLH. It is "mostly" original, but some parts are wrong year and a few are after market.

With the bike came an alleged '57 front fender and a '57 tanks. The tanks that are on the bike now are '56. The front fender on the bike is an electroglide fender.

I'd like some help to identify if the tanks and fender are original paint or not. If not, I want to repaint them since the paint is chipping off and the tank has a dent in it. I just got home from a 10 hour trip to get the bike. It's still on the trailer and the parts are in the trunk. I may have to wait until tomorrow to unload everything for pictures.

I'd also like to know if anyone on here lives in the Concord, NC area who might have some experience in restoring an old Pan. I've only done choppers and bobbers before... never a stock Panhead.

So any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here is the bike with the repainted '56 tanks and who knows what year front fender is. I think the rear fender is '57, but can't be 100% positive.

Pan_2.jpg

Hi Will,
    Welcome to the forum. Your 57 looks like a great score! I bought an original paint 57 in 1981 and like an idiot I painted it a shade of dark blue / purple. In my defense it had pretty bad front end damage and the original fender was trashed. And at the time I didn't understand the significance of original paint. I'm glad to see you are taking that into account for yours. DSC02969.jpgAnyway I'm retired now and the 57 is in line for a "restoration" after the 38 EL and 24 JD I'm working on now are completed or at least further along. Perhaps we can build the bikes at the same time and share information. Here's a picture of my 57 and my youngest son taken a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by slamiste View Post
      Hi Will,
      Welcome to the forum. ... Perhaps we can build the bikes at the same time and share information. Here's a picture of my 57 and my youngest son taken a few years ago.
      Thanks for the welcome.

Wow! You make that bike look small. I'm a short guy and can just about get both heels on the ground. Well... that's with sneakers. My riding shoes should be better.

Yeah, other than the purple paint, your bike looks great. Very clean. Mine's a greasy, oily mess that hasn't run in probably 20 years. But the guy poured a little oil don't the cylinders every Christmas and kicked it through half a dozen times.

Maybe my build will inspire you to do a little bit on yours. It doesn't look like you need much.

Cheers!

Comment

I'd like some help to identify if the tanks and fender are original paint or not. If not, I want to repaint them since the paint is chipping off and the tank has a dent in it.
        The best way to detect original paint is with a paint thickness gauge
        https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...gauge&_sacat=0.
        Original paint is .001" to .002"

Comment

Looks like a good start looking at the only pic. If we are going to talk about bonehead things, I purchased my 58 off a used car lot in Little ferry NJ in 1971. Perfect low mileage Calypso red and birch white. Every option on it. I weighed about 140 at the time and the slick sales guy had to start it for me. I slapped a no good Florida plate on it and followed my friends car back 25 miles home with them pointing and laughing at me all the way. Thank goodness I didn't stall it as I probably would not be able to re-start it and they would have just taken off and left me there. Well, girls liked choppers and I liked girls so other than the motor and trans EVERYTHING went. In 1988 I was fortunate enough to have access to original parts to put it back as a nice rider and did so and still enjoy it today. Oh, and I got ripped off and paid the whopping sum of $740.00 for it in 71.
          D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
            Looks like a good start looking at the only pic. If we are going to talk about bonehead things, I purchased my 58 off a used car lot in Little ferry NJ in 1971. ...
            Hi, D.A. I was right down 46 in Clifton, NJ doing the same stupid stuff. I bought a 47 Chief basket case (basically engine, trans, frame, rear wheel and tanks) and planned on building a chopper. I gut off the gas tank mounts. Being low on funds, I traded it for a VW bug. Are you still in NJ? I moved to N.C. four years ago.

Comment

I unloaded all the boxes and took the bike out in the sun for for a picture. There are a lot of parts included... too many to list or photograph right now, but for now, I have a question about the front fender. The previous owner said he bought it from a guy who chopped a '57. I'll believe it's correct for now, since its better than the Electroglide fender on the bike now. I don't know if it's original paint or not.
              57_RightSide.jpg
              57_FrontFender.jpg

Comment

Will, come to the Denton NC meet in May and you can find a lot of help there. There are a number of very knowledge folks especially on pans there. If you need help before that then go to Oley in PA which is one of the mac daddy meets along with Wauseon in July.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                AMCA #12766

Comment

Interesting fender. Some 1940 Deluxe trim pieces on it along with the '39-'48 side trim. But it is a early style Hydra-Glide fender. Looks like it had a lighted fender tip on it at some point too.
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                    Interesting fender. Some 1940 Deluxe trim pieces on it along with the '39-'48 side trim. But it is a early style Hydra-Glide fender. Looks like it had a lighted fender tip on it at some point too.
                    Thanks, Robbie. I think I'd rather have that fender on it than the Electra Glide fender that's on the bike now. I'm just not sure if I want to remove the extra trim or leave it.

Since the tires over 20 years old, I'll probably get new ones before attempting to ride it. Since the wheel will be off, I might as well change the fender.

Comment

Man might be just me but I would leave that fender alone and built the bike around it to match. Jerry

Originally posted by willphelps52 View Post
                      I unloaded all the boxes and took the bike out in the sun for for a picture. There are a lot of parts included... too many to list or photograph right now, but for now, I have a question about the front fender. The previous owner said he bought it from a guy who chopped a '57. I'll believe it's correct for now, since its better than the Electroglide fender on the bike now. I don't know if it's original paint or not.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]27300[/ATTACH]
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]27301[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
                        Man might be just me but I would leave that fender alone and built the bike around it to match. Jerry
                        Yeah, I think I'm with you on that. Since I've never done a stock Panhead before, I don't want to mess anything up. When I start taking the bike to various meets I'll get feedback from the pros.

Comment

Will,

Moved a few miles north. Orange County N.Y.

That is a REAL nice bike. Please do not glass bead, blast, or use anything abrasive in order to clean anything as you will lose the casting imperfections on the aluminum surfaces that will never be reclaimed. Solvents, soap and water, Brake Kleen or other less drastic means of cleaning will save that cast appearance. You have a very nice beginning to a wonderful motorcycle that will bring you years of enjoyment.
                          Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 02-11-2020, 07:19 AM.
                          D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Speaking of batteries. Where is a good place to get a 6 volt battery for this bike? Any particular brand? This is my first 6V bike.

Once I get the battery, plugs and oil, I'm going to try and start it.

Comment

You can order it at the Harley dealer; part number 66006-29F. They are made in Viet Nam but they are better than the ones made in India. I have one that has been in a bike for over six years which is pretty amazing. You just have to keep them charged and the water level up. You can also get 60 weight oil at the dealer.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X