Speedometer id

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer id

Can anyone ID this speedo, thinking of getting it repaired and refaced for 52 panhead if doable.

I think I just identified it as a possible early 70s speedo. If that being the case can it be refaced with a 48-52 face even though those speedos only had three digits in odometer?

Comment

On a panhead cable is male, speedo is female, this is much newer.

Comment

I would guess your core cannot be reconfigured as the 48-52 type. That speedo uses a 2 tiered face, and the numerals are on the glass. Anything can be done, but I don't think speedometer rebuilders would want to do that. I have seen rebuilt originals on ebay in the $650+ range. There is a reproduction of that type, but it's easily spotted by screws in place of rivets. I know where you're coming from as originals are very pricey, and rebuild able cores are hard to find; but they are out there.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

That is not only a '70s unit, but it is totally different internally using different ratios than a Panhead type. It cannot be made to match the required speed so the drive gears in the transmission would need to be changed to get it to function.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks for everyone's response. So I guess what my best option is at this point is to try and sell this unit and get what I can and look for a rebuild able unit. Also would appreciate input and what would be the best repop, I've looked at some but hard to tell by pictures.

Comment

Working...
            X