Unknown Plumber Intake Manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown Plumber Intake Manifold

I just want to know if anyone out there is familiar with this aftermarket Knucklehead - Panhead manifold. I have 2 of them. One of them had instructions placed inside. I have not seen any old ads for them.CIMG1534.JPGimage0.jpgCIMG1536.JPGCIMG1538.JPGCIMG1540.JPG
    Craig

It almost looks like it was made to fit a 1940 and up Harley 4 bolt 1 1/2" carburetor to 1939 and down heads which normally had a 3 bolt 1 1/4" carburetor. Neat.

Jerry

Originally posted by 41craig View Post
    I just want to know if anyone out there is familiar with this aftermarket Knucklehead - Panhead manifold. I have 2 of them. One of them had instructions placed inside. I have not seen any old ads for them.[ATTACH=CONFIG]26453[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26454[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26455[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26456[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26457[/ATTACH]
    Craig

Comment

Jerry; When I bought this one, I figured it was for a stroker. Cut to fit.
      Craig

Comment

I have no clue, Craig!

But many thanks for posting the pics for posterity.

(and my library...)

...Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotten; I dig these oddballs out every now and then to possibly expand our knowledge.
          Craig

Comment

Was Jerry right, Craig?

Its a small port?

(I tried to juggle the tape measure with my photoeditor, but its got double-vision.)

Cotten
            PS: Typos on the instruction tab says somebody tediously cranked each one out on a Remington, maybe.
            My ribbon's too dry to try to compare.
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-17-2019, 03:20 PM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

Cotten; It is 4" end to end. This is why I thought it was for a stroker.
              Craig

P.S. Sorry for the crappy pics.
              Last edited by 41craig; 11-17-2019, 04:01 PM. Reason: Later thoughts

Comment

What is the diameter of the spigot?

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
                  What is the diameter of the spigot?
                  Jerry; The spigot to the head is the same as the 74 manifold. The spigot to the carb is larger than the 74 manifold. Approx. 1.620 vs. approx. 1.565.
                  CraigCIMG1544.JPGCIMG1541.JPGCIMG1542.JPGCIMG1543.JPG

Comment

That popped the balloon, Craig!

If it was 'small port', it might have been pretty desirable.

But the grossly oversized bore just means fuel can 'puddle' in it from the pressure drop.

If a four-bolt Linkert was bored out that big, the idle bleeds would just be one big hole.

...Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-18-2019, 12:39 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Colony used to sell a wide cast iron intake. I don't know if this is one of theirs or not.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I have a home-made version of that thingy.

Mine was made for small-port heads installed on an FL. In addition to accommodating the later carb, it also took up the greater spread between the ports.

So maybe it's not for strokers, per se, but those looking to adapt heads. I have been given to understand that small port heads on the bigger motor was desirable due to the greater port velocity, and this is the first time I've ever seen a commercial solution to this problem.

Comment

It is not the same as the old Colony intakes that I am familiar with. They were more OEM looking. Jerry

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                          Colony used to sell a wide cast iron intake. I don't know if this is one of theirs or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
                            It is not the same as the old Colony intakes that I am familiar with. They were more OEM looking. Jerry
                            Just the 428 401 was much too crisp, and the cad was modern bright stuff, Folks..

(Cad does darken with time, but the lack of texture on the casting made it even whiter. Some of Colony's were almost iridescent.
                            Their parked one were pretty decent too, although more green than grey.)

A quality cast and machined manifold isn't easy, and I suspect Colony gave up and dumped all their seconds on Tedd.

What founder's hallmark is a Circle L?
                            (Thanks in advance..)

....Cotten
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-18-2019, 02:46 PM.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

I bought these at E&M in St. Louis in the mid 1980's. Ed Miller and his brother ran this motorcycle shop in the '60's through 1985. Ed also started Midwest Motorcycle Supply in the 1970's. He and his brother bought out a lot of Midwest Harley dealers, in the '60's, that were going out of business. He had tons of NOS and good used Harley and Indian parts and bikes too. I have to think that these manifolds are 1950's manufacture. I could be wrong, but that is why I'm asking for any info on them. Ed retired and sold out in 1985, but the new owner only wanted the new parts business. He had an auction in 1985 and I bought a fair amount, but he still had 5 barns full of bikes and parts. He sold the remaining bikes and parts in 1991. I have a lot of pics from that auction, but I don't know where on the forum would be a good place to share them. Here is a couple of them.
                              Craigimage0-010.jpgimage0-018.jpgimage0.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X